Estrutura do Verbo to give

Pessoal,

Hoje traduzindo a música There you'll be da Faith Hill, música tema de Pearl Harbor, encontrei a seguinte frase:

The strength you gave to me.

A estrutura do verbo to give não é direta?

O correto não seria: "The strength you gave me"?

Obrigado!

POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
1 resposta
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Both could be used.
You reasoning makes sense, but I think it´s like the case below stated. That is, as in the case of: “write,” it’s long been correct English to drop the preposition even if the only object is an indirect object

So (and in particular on lyrics, more so) it´s acceptable.

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2009/ ... eeves.html
Several verbs, including “hand,” “pass,” “give, “offer,” “send,” and “write,” are commonly used without prepositions when they’re immediately followed by an indirect object (like “me” and “your mother” in the sentences above).

Here are a few more examples: “Pass Dad the salt,” but “Pass the salt to Dad.” … “Hand me the hammer,” but “Hand the hammer to me.” … “Offer her tea,” but “Offer tea to her.” … “Give them a break,” but “Give a break to them.” … “He left her his fortune,” but “He left his fortune to her.”

In the case of “write,” it’s long been correct English to drop the preposition even if the only object is an indirect object, as in “Write me when you can” or “Write your parents at least once a week.” (In this respect, we use “write” in much the same way that we use “call.”)