Estrutura educacional nos EUA

anita 14
Olah! Gostaria muito de saber quais sao os niveis que compoem a estrutura educacional nos EUA... Comeca em kindergarten e vai ateh Senior year High School??? Quais sao os cursos na sequencia certa? Nao sei se este forum eh o mais aplicado para essa duvida, mas acho que pode ser.
Thank you so!

CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Olá Anita

Não sei se ajuda, mas veja o quadro "Level/Grade" no seguinte artigo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_ ... ted_States
I'm gonna write what the printed Longman dictionary I have says:

EUA

Sistema Educacional

A educação é obrigatória entre os 6 e os 14 ou 16 anos, conforme o estado onde se vive. A escola primária (elementary school) dure seis anos, dos 6 aos 11 anos. O ensino médio consta de um ciclo de dois anos (junior high school), seguido por outro de quatro anos (high school). Os alunos que querem entrar para uma universidade prestam um exame chamado SAT no último ano da escola secundária.

Source: Longman dictionary

Hope this helps ;)
mili
Anita coloquei tudo na sequencia certinha, espero que voce goste de ler. muitas informacoes. Ate o 5th grade eu peguei informacoes que eu tinha no pc salvo, mas se voce achar que e muita informacao entao va direto pra wikipedia. a partir to 6th grade os conheitos sao todos da wikipedia.

Pre-K

The Basics
In preschool, children learn about the world through play. Subject areas aren’t separate in their minds or in the classroom. The objects preschoolers find on a nature walk, like feathers, rocks and leaves, might help them figure out math concepts like "big, bigger, and biggest" or motivate them to visit the book corner to find out more about birds. Teachers may introduce children to basic concepts such as shapes, letters, and colors, but preschool is about learning much more than what a circle looks like. It’s where children first develop a relationship with learning.

Kindergarten

The Basics
Most kindergarteners want to learn all about the world and how it works. Kindergarten teachers often build on this enthusiasm by offering projects that encourage children to delve deeper into the areas that interest them. Children may make life-size tracings of themselves as they learn about the human body, or study animal habitats by researching information about the class pet.

1st Grade

The Basics
First grade marks an important milestone for young children who finally feel like part of a "big" school. They may eat in the cafeteria for the first time or play outside during recess without the direct supervision of their own teacher, experiences that help first graders feel more independent. First graders now have to use the social skills they developed in preschool and kindergarten in more mature ways. But the true magic of first grade happens as children develop the ability to understand what letters and numbers really mean. When they’re ready, they’ll be able to "crack the code" and read words.

2nd Grade

The Basics
In second grade most children practice the skills learned in earlier grades and begin to use them with ease. Some children who were not completely ready to understand all the material introduced in first grade may now be ready to master it. Second graders apply what they learned about the meanings of letters and numbers to more complicated material, and begin to develop their analytical abilities even further.

3rd Grade

The Basics
In third grade, children start putting the learning pieces together to take on more complicated assignments. As they continue to apply the basic skills they learned in first and second grade, they begin to do some work independently rather than with the explicit directions given in earlier grade levels.

The third-grade curriculum focuses on learning about the past, present, and future. Literature, social studies and even science follow events over time, such as observing the phases of the moon or how rocks erode into sand.

4th Grade

The Basics
In fourth grade children take on new types of work and social experiences, and for some, these can be tough. Fourth graders may struggle to follow the many directions and long-range planning that their school assignments require. They have to collaborate with their peers on group projects, which can be stressful in the charged social dynamics that emerge in fourth grade. Students will probably have a textbook for each subject, as well as multiple folders, all of which can present organizational challenges (plus heavy backpacks). The work gets harder and they need to manage it more independently — that includes homework assignments in multiple subjects, as well as keeping track of those assignments and tasks.

5th Grade

The Basics
Fifth graders work hard on projects and tasks that require them to draw on the skills and strategies they have been learning in elementary school. School work gets more difficult, as students may have separate teachers for each subject for the first time. Teachers challenge students with long-term projects that require planning and organization.

The social life of fifth graders often overshadows what they learn — at least for them. Who their friends are and what they think is more important than ever as puberty begins to bloom. At the same time, fifth graders may experience excitement about what they are learning and able to do, as well as new anxiety. In many schools, fifth graders will soon be moving on to middle school, and children may feel both thrilled and overwhelmed by the transition. Parents, guardians and teachers can play a critical role in listening, reassuring and supporting the new individual that is starting to emerge.

6th grade

Sixth grade (called Grade 6 in some regions) is a year of education in the United States and many other nations. The sixth grade is the sixth school year after kindergarten. Students are usually 11 - 12 years old. Traditionally, sixth grade was the final year of elementary school

Seventh grade
(called Grade seven or year 7 in some regions) is a year of education in the United States and many other nations. The seventh grade is the seventh school year after kindergarten. Students are usually 12-13 years old. Traditionally, seventh grade was the next-to-last year of elementary school. In the United States and Canada, it is usually the second year of middle school, the first year of junior high school or the 7th year of elementary school. In Quebec, it is usually the last year of elementary school, or the first year of high school.

Eighth (or 8th) grade (capitalized and called Grade 8 in Canada) is a year of education in the United States, Canada, Australia and other nations. The eighth grade is typically the final grade before high school, and the ninth grade of public and private education, following kindergarten and subsequent grades. Most students are between thirteen and fourteen years old, depending on when their birthday occurs. Eighth grade is usually the third and final grade of middle school, although some systems mark it as the final year of elementary school and some as the second year of high school (in Quebec, for example).

Ninth grade is the ninth post-kindergarten year of school/education. Usually, it is the first year of upper secondary school and the students are 14 to 15 years of age, depending on when their birthday occurs.

The tenth grade is the tenth school year after kindergarten and is called Grade 10 in some regions of the U.S., and in Canada. Grade 10 is a part of secondary school and in some parts of the USA it is the first year of high school. The English equivalent is Year 11. Usually, this is when children would leave compulsory education.

High school is often used instead of senior high school and distinguished from junior high school. Starting in ninth grade and ending in twelfth grade, grades are used in determining a student’s GPA (in the U.S.), and become part of a student’s official transcript. Therefore, students obtain much more control of their education and often may even choose their core classes.

In the U.S. curriculum for mathematics, tenth graders are usually taught Algebra II or Geometry. Occasionally, Precalculus or higher classes are offered for students who wish to take Advanced Placement math classes in later years of high school. In the U.S. curriculum for literature, students have already began to familiarize themselves with notable authors such as Shakespeare, while some Advanced Placement programs emphasize the work of authors J. D. Salinger, for example, and his Catcher in the Rye, putting a major emphasis on literary terms and getting to know themes such as alienation.

In the United States, many students take the SAT Reasoning Test and/or ACT in the second half of their 11th-grade year. Typically during this year, students interested in attending higher education facilities tend to search at around the second part of that year.

Eleventh Grade is the eleventh, and for some countries final, grade of secondary schools. Students are typically 16 or 17 years of age, depending on the country and the students' birthdays.
In the United States, a student at this grade is typically referred to as a junior .

The twelfth grade is the twelfth school year after kindergarten. It is also the last year of compulsory secondary education, or "high school". Students often enter the grade as 17-years-old and graduate as 18-years-old

http://en.wikipedia.org
mili
Pre-kindergarten (also called Pre-K or PK) refers to the first formal academic classroom-based learning environment that a child customarily attends in the United States. It begins around the age of four or five in order to prepare for the more didactic and academically intensive kindergarten, the traditional "first" class that school children participate in

kindergarten
In most of the United States and anglophone Canada, as well as in parts of Australia (New South Wales, Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory) kindergarten is the word used to describe the first year of compulsory education

First grade (called Grade 1 in the metric system nations) is a year of primary education in schools in the United States, Canada and some other countries. It is the first school year after kindergarten. Students are usually 6 to 7 years old.

second grade
In the United States, second grade (called grade 2 in metric system countries) is a year of primary education. Second grade is the second school year after kindergarten. Students are traditionally 7–8 years old, depending on when their birthday occurs.

ps see my email above or keep reading it at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_grade
anita 14
You all helped me so much, but Mili, what you did was very nice of you! Many thanks for such a complete description! :-)
INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
mili
Anita, it was my pleasure.You are very welcome...anytime!
dlr 1
Mili's post is pretty complete. Something interesting happened here a year or two ago. The schools used to be divided like this:

Elementary School:
Kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade 6th grade
Junior High:
7th grade, 8th grade
High School:
9th grade, 10th grade, 11th grade, 12th grade

but a couple years ago they moved 6th grade to Junior high, and I'm not sure why. Now Elementary school goes from K-5 and Junior High goes from 6-8. It could possibly signify some kind of structural reorganization within the education system or it could mean that Elementary schools here are getting more and more crowded.

As far as I know, this is just happening in my county (state->county->city). Here there are many schools and their districts determine which children go to which school. For example there are 3 large high schools in my city and they are all regulated and administrated by the county. The county decides the boundaries for each school district and if you live in those boundaries you go to that school, unless you specifically enroll in a different one. Just like anywhere in the world, the quality of schools varies, and in my case my parents enrolled me and my sisters at a different (and better) elementary school. As you might be able to see from this, as a result of this division amongst the population, schools can get very competitive and each one wants to be able to say that they are the best.

daniel
mili
dlr, thanks for bringing us more informations.

well I dont know where you live but at worcester county the Junior High goes from 6-8 as well. I also work at an elementar school it goes from K-5 also.

I believe that change is for the whole state, but of course things change from county to county from schools to schools...

I have some brazilians friends at the high school with 5 classes a day and others have only 4 plus outside playing - different schools of course.