Exercício: Dating Mishaps

Avatar do usuário Henry Cunha 10000 3 16 177
There`s a funny mistake in each of these sentences. Can you spot them?

Here are a few dating jokes:

I was walking to school one day, when suddenly a beautiful woman cut my eye.

I fell in love with her the first time I sawed her.

She had a husky’s voice.

I told her a joke and then she started smelling widely.

He had such a worm heart.

We were two sheeps passing in the night.

There’s a very strong chemical reaction between us!

My boyfriend is really a eunuch person.

I miss her but we keep touching each other over the internet.

I don’t know if he will propose, but I am expecting.

From http://www.innocentenglish.com/funny-en ... opers.html

Have fun!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário Vitor Ferreira 30 1
:? I was walking to school one day, when suddenly a beautiful woman cut my eye.

I fell in love with her the first time I sawed her.

She had a husky’s voice. Husky = rouco, áspero

I told her a joke and then she started smelling widely. widely = sentido de bastante

He had such a worm heart. warm = sentido de amoroso, apaixonado/ worm = bicho, verme

:? We were two sheeps passing in the night.

There’s a very strong chemical reaction between us!

My boyfriend is really a eunuch person. :lol: eunuch = castrado, eunuco=impotente, estéril.

I miss her but we keep touching each other over the internet.

:? I don’t know if he will propose, but I am expecting.

Não entendi bem o such na 5ª frase. Expliquem-me por favor.
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3925 1 9 88
I told her a joke and then she started smelling widely. smelling --> smiling
He had such a worm heart. coração de minhoca? :lol: worm --> warm (coração quentinho :) )
I miss her but we keep touching each other over the internet. --> pervert, eh? and quite impossible to be done 'over the internet'. I'd rewrite: I miss her but we keep in touch over the internet.
I don’t know if he will propose, but I am expecting. Is she pregnant? already? :)
I guess this one could be fixed this way: I don't know it he will propose me, but I am expecting him to.

I loved the website! (innocentenglish)
my guess:

I was walking to school one day, when suddenly a beautiful woman cut my eye. (caught my eye)
I miss her but we keep touching each other over the internet..(him...we keep in touch)
Now write a follow-up sentence that shows you "get it." For ex:

I was walking to school one day, when suddenly a beautiful woman cut my eye. I was half-blinded by how sharp she looked. (The mistake is, as pointed out, "caught my eye" and not "cut my eye.")

(This is a hellish way to learn English, isn't it?)

(Vitor, "husky voice" não tem um sentido negativo neste caso; mas "a husky's voice" se refere a voz do cão raça husky. Se não é "eunuch", qual seria a palavra?)

("Flavia, "he will propose" is enough; you don't need "me"; otherwise you're dead on, my friend.)

(No one got "sheeps"??? I thought that would be a cinch for Portuguese speakers: it's like the difference in pronouncing "pitch" and "peach.")

Have fun!
Henry,
I noticed the 'sheeps' had nothing to do with the sentence, but 'ships' also don't have, so I still don't know how to rewrite it... :(
Avatar do usuário Thomas 14400 7 58 285
No, I am not going to tell you what the joke is about "sheeps"! That might hurt someone's fillings.
ok, this is feelings, not fillings. But I still don't know what that ovelhas are doing in that sentence.

@ Henry = :(
@ Thomas = :(
Flavia.lm escreveu:Henry,
I noticed the 'sheeps' had nothing to do with the sentence, but 'ships' also don't have, so I still don't know how to rewrite it... :(

Remember that the subject is dating -- i.e., a meeting between boy and girl -- but that don't always work out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbaCSzPdSz0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5ua3fdt ... re=related

Now you get it...
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Leia o e-book Aprendendo Idiomas por Conta Própria e conheça as técnicas utilizadas pelos Experts para aprender idiomas. Com ele você vai aprender a aprender inglês!

Baixar uma Amostra Grátis!
ahhh this is an idiom...

ships (that pass) in the night
people who meet for a short period of time but never meet again
(Macmillan)