Exercício: Dating Mishaps

Avatar do usuário Henry Cunha 9960 2 17 177
There`s a funny mistake in each of these sentences. Can you spot them?

Here are a few dating jokes:

I was walking to school one day, when suddenly a beautiful woman cut my eye.

I fell in love with her the first time I sawed her.

She had a husky’s voice.

I told her a joke and then she started smelling widely.

He had such a worm heart.

We were two sheeps passing in the night.

There’s a very strong chemical reaction between us!

My boyfriend is really a eunuch person.

I miss her but we keep touching each other over the internet.

I don’t know if he will propose, but I am expecting.

From http://www.innocentenglish.com/funny-en ... opers.html

Have fun!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você sabe como está o seu nível de inglês? Teste agora GRÁTIS em apenas alguns minutos.

Clique aqui para iniciar o Teste Online!
Avatar do usuário Vitor Ferreira 30 1
:? I was walking to school one day, when suddenly a beautiful woman cut my eye.

I fell in love with her the first time I sawed her.

She had a husky’s voice. Husky = rouco, áspero

I told her a joke and then she started smelling widely. widely = sentido de bastante

He had such a worm heart. warm = sentido de amoroso, apaixonado/ worm = bicho, verme

:? We were two sheeps passing in the night.

There’s a very strong chemical reaction between us!

My boyfriend is really a eunuch person. :lol: eunuch = castrado, eunuco=impotente, estéril.

I miss her but we keep touching each other over the internet.

:? I don’t know if he will propose, but I am expecting.

Não entendi bem o such na 5ª frase. Expliquem-me por favor.
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
I told her a joke and then she started smelling widely. smelling --> smiling
He had such a worm heart. coração de minhoca? :lol: worm --> warm (coração quentinho :) )
I miss her but we keep touching each other over the internet. --> pervert, eh? and quite impossible to be done 'over the internet'. I'd rewrite: I miss her but we keep in touch over the internet.
I don’t know if he will propose, but I am expecting. Is she pregnant? already? :)
I guess this one could be fixed this way: I don't know it he will propose me, but I am expecting him to.

I loved the website! (innocentenglish)
my guess:

I was walking to school one day, when suddenly a beautiful woman cut my eye. (caught my eye)
I miss her but we keep touching each other over the internet..(him...we keep in touch)
Now write a follow-up sentence that shows you "get it." For ex:

I was walking to school one day, when suddenly a beautiful woman cut my eye. I was half-blinded by how sharp she looked. (The mistake is, as pointed out, "caught my eye" and not "cut my eye.")

(This is a hellish way to learn English, isn't it?)

(Vitor, "husky voice" não tem um sentido negativo neste caso; mas "a husky's voice" se refere a voz do cão raça husky. Se não é "eunuch", qual seria a palavra?)

("Flavia, "he will propose" is enough; you don't need "me"; otherwise you're dead on, my friend.)

(No one got "sheeps"??? I thought that would be a cinch for Portuguese speakers: it's like the difference in pronouncing "pitch" and "peach.")

Have fun!
Henry,
I noticed the 'sheeps' had nothing to do with the sentence, but 'ships' also don't have, so I still don't know how to rewrite it... :(
Avatar do usuário Thomas 14280 7 58 282
No, I am not going to tell you what the joke is about "sheeps"! That might hurt someone's fillings.
ok, this is feelings, not fillings. But I still don't know what that ovelhas are doing in that sentence.

@ Henry = :(
@ Thomas = :(
Flavia.lm escreveu:Henry,
I noticed the 'sheeps' had nothing to do with the sentence, but 'ships' also don't have, so I still don't know how to rewrite it... :(

Remember that the subject is dating -- i.e., a meeting between boy and girl -- but that don't always work out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbaCSzPdSz0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5ua3fdt ... re=related

Now you get it...
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Há quanto tempo você estuda inglês? Já passou por sua cabeça que você pode estar estudando de uma forma que dá pouco ou quase nenhum resultado? Que tal fazer um intensivo de inglês de 180 dias e recuperar o tempo perdido? Em 6 meses você pode elevar o seu inglês a um novo patamar.

Clique aqui para conhecer o curso!
ahhh this is an idiom...

ships (that pass) in the night
people who meet for a short period of time but never meet again
(Macmillan)