Exercício Present Perfect: just, already, since, for or yet

maryziller 1 2
Mary escreveu:Challenge: Try your hand at this exercise on the Present Perfect

Present perfect is formed with ‘have’, an auxiliary, and the past participle of the main verb.
I have walked, I have been…, I have gone…, I have learned, I have asked…, I have had.
Present Perfect is used to express an action or state
1.which has been completed, but without mentioning a specific time.
........Ex. Jim has been ill. (no specific time mentioned) He’s well again ,now.
2. which repeated itself in the past and can continue repeating now and into the future.
........Ex. Ann has seen this TV show many times. (and she may continue watching it).
3.that started in the past, is continuing now and may continue beyond, into the future.
........Ex. We’ve lived in the same apartment for three years. (and we may stay longer).
4.with time expressions such as ‘today’, ‘this month, ‘this year’, which have not been concluded.
........Ex. He’s been absent from work twice this week.
1.Just means a short time ago, an action completed immediately before now.
2. Already means that the action happened before you expected it to occur, or that it was completed “now” instead of later when you expected it to happen. People will ask “so soon?”, “so early?”
3.Yet means until now, that the action has not happened up to this point in time.
4.Since means until now, that the action has not happened up to this point in time.
Since is used with definite times.
5.For is used with quantities of time.
EXERCISE
Fill in the blanks with just, already, since, for, or yet.

I’ve ____ finished putting the baby down for a nap and she is ____ asleep. And she’s fallen asleep ____? (So soon?) That was fast! No, I was mistaken. She has not fallen asleep ____. She is still awake. She has been quiet ____ I arrived, ____ ½ hour at least.
I’ve ____ made a fresh pot of coffee. Would you like a cup? No thanks, I’ve ____ had breakfast. (prior to now) Ok. Well I have to have a cup because I haven’t eaten anything ____. This coffee has been ready here ____ hours, ____ 6:00 A.M.
The train has ____ arrived. Oh ok. I thought that I had ____ missed it and would have to wait for the next train. (prior to now) I’m glad that it hasn’t left ____. I’ve been here ____ noon, and she has also been here ____ a long time.
The store has ____ opened, so they are having an open house. That’s strange. I thought that it had ____ opened last week. (prior to now) Have you decided what you need to shop for ____? No, I’ve been so busy at work ____ we got that new account, that I haven’t had time to think about myself ____ several days.
Has the paint dried ____? No, I’ve ____ finished painting it. Oh, I thought that the paint had ____ dried. (prior to now) ____ when does paint dry immediately? Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t know that it had been drying only ____ a few seconds.
May I speak with your supervisor? Oh, sorry. I’m afraid he’s ____ left. Oh. (So early?) I didn’t think that he had ____ left. I didn’t think he had left ____.
I have waited for him to get back to me ____ a week, ____ Monday, but he hasn’t returned my call ____.

ANSWER KEY
I’ve just finished putting the baby down for a nap and she is already asleep. And she’s fallen asleep already? (So soon?) That was fast! No, I was mistaken. She has not fallen asleep yet. She is still awake. She has been quiet since I arrived, for a ½ hour at least.
I’ve just made a fresh pot of coffee. Would you like a cup? No thanks, I’ve already had breakfast. (prior to now) Ok. Well I have to have a cup because I haven’t eaten anythingyet. This coffee has been ready here for hours, since 6:00 A.M.
The train has justarrived. Oh ok. I thought that I had already missed it and would have to wait for the next train. (prior to now) I’m glad that it hasn’t left yet. I’ve been here since noon, and she has also been here for a long time.
The store has just opened, so they are having an open house. That’s strange. I thought that it had already opened last week. (prior to now) Have you decided what you need to shop for yet? No, I’ve been so busy at work since we got that new account, that I haven’t had time to think about myself for several days.
Has the paint dried yet? No, I’ve just finished painting it. Oh, I thought that the paint had already dried. (prior to now) Since when does paint dry immediately? Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t know that it had been drying only for a few seconds.
May I speak with your supervisor? Oh, sorry. I’m afraid he’s just left. Oh. (So early?) I didn’t think that he had already left. I didn’t think he had left yet.
I have waited for him to get back to me for a week, since Monday, but he hasn’t returned my call yet.

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
1 resposta
just,already,already,yet,for,just,already,for,yet,for,since,just,already,yet,since,for,just,already,yet,since,for,yet,just,already,for,just,already,yet,for,since