Existe alguma diferença entre Beside e Next to?

Ambos significam "ao lado". Entretanto, existe contextos específicos em que devem ser usados?

Obrigada desde já!

POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
5 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Henry Army 3 10 50
Actually they are pretty much the same, however I read in a grammar that we must avoid using "beside" with things that don't have a clear side.

Beside is more like face to face.

On the other hand, next to, there is no restriction.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Complementary to Henry´s answer. Yes, it may (or may not) make a difference, it depends.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/beside
beside – besides
1. 'beside'
If one thing is beside another, it is next to it or at the side of it.

Beside the shed was a huge tree.
I sat down beside my wife.

--------------
As you can see reading the last sentence, one could be misled with "beside" there. It would be advisable (and more precise) to use one of the two sentences:

"I sat down next to my wife" or
"I sat down at the side of my wife."

With wich would convey exactly what the speaker of the sentence meant.
Anyway, chances are that the native be aware of the couple of senses, and understand just the same, but it´s good, at least sometimes, to avoid ambivalence.
Qual a diferença de beside e Next to? Se as duas palavras significam ao lado?
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Vanda, a resposta está nos posts anteriores. Q.V.
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Vanda, leia isto:

'She sat next her mother' is incorrect, at least in BE
'She sat next to her mother' or 'She sat beside her mother' are both correct and mean the same thing.