Falsos Cognatos: Mesa

Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Pessoal,

'Mesa' em inglês equivale a planalto escarpado,plataforma em cima de uma região montanhosa (comum no sudoeste dos E.U.A.).'Mesa'(mobília) em português equivale obviamente a 'table' em inglês.

Imagem

Referências:
Michaelis/Wikipedia

Bons estudos!

ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
5 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Existe, em inglês, várias "Tabletop Mountains", com esse mesmo significado. Regards
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Could we put a giant book on the mesa?
Thomas 7 62 296
The photo above is not a good depiction of a "mesa" (the word comes from Spanish, by the way). Many "mesas" are isolated from other hills, often standing alone in a valley and with very steep sides. They were often used by Indians in the Southwest of the USA as fortress-villages. The Indians would farm in the valley below, fleeing to the village on the mesa in the event of an attack. I have seen "mesas" that could be defended against 1000 men by perhaps five men armed with rocks, arrows, spears, etc. Acoma (New Mexico) is one of the best known "mesas", and I believe I was told that two men could defend it. Imagine that: two men against hundreds. Why? Because access was by means of ONE narrow path that required all who took it to climb one by one. (This changed about 1950 when a movie company built a road to the top in exchange for movie rights.) At Mesa Verde (Colorado, I believe) there were dwellings on top, but most of the buildings and villages were built into the sides of the mesa. Access was possible by use of ladders. One such village I visited required people to pass through a very narrow passageway in the rocks. Since attackers would have to go through the passageway one by one, only a few warriors were required to prevent them from reaching the village. Mesa Verde is so beautiful!
Marcio_Farias escreveu:Could we put a giant book on the mesa?
Marco,

Yes, but only if it was an "English Text Book", Because then you could say, "The giant book is on the giant table." ;) :lol:
Eu tive que aprender o significado de "mesa" do inglês no duro e passei até vergonha. :oops: Eu já tinha ouvido falar sobre alguns cognatos ( voto-voto )e eu não sabia que mesa em ingles era table, então o prof me perguntou "Como se diz mesa em inglês ? Então eu disse mesa. E já viu né foi gente morrendo de rir pra tudo quanto era lado. :oops: