Figure out x Discover: Qual a diferença

Olá a todos!

Gostaria de saber se alguém pode explicar a diferença entre utilizar a palavra ""figure out" ou "discover" quando queremos dizer sobre "descobrir" algo.
Sempre que estou assistindo a seriados, filmes e mesmo em conversas profissionais, vejo que a todo momento a
palavra "figure out" é utilizada.
Alguém sabe explicar em qual contexto cada uma deve ser utilizada?
Thanks,
Karla

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
"Discover" é descobrir que algo existe, encontrar alguém que estava escondido e você não esperava encontrar:
Exemplo: "Scientists around the world are working to discover a cure for AIDS."

"Figure out" é mais para entender alguma coisa, compreendê-la ou imaginá-la.
Exemplo: "We couldn't figure her out."

Fonte: Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
This forum attempts to establish the difference between discover and find out. Close but no cigar, eh?

I for one utterly agree with Diego__Diego, in that one'd use figure out in the sense of solve, compute, or calculate, and discover pretty much in the way an astronomer would in his formal reports if he found out about a new planet or star. A intergalactic rocket scientist would have done the same if he discovered a new formula for rocket fuel the lighter, the better.
1-to find someone or something , either by accident or because you were looking for them
2-to find out something that you did not know about before

"Discover" some examples:
The body was discovered in a field
She discovered that she was pregnant
The Curies are best known for discovering radium

Figure out definition:
1-To think about a problem or situation untill you find the answer or understand what has happened---syn=work out
2-to understand why someone behaves in the way they do---syn=work out

"Figure out" examples:
Can you figure out how to do it?
If I have a map, I can figure it out.
Don't worry, we'll figure something out(=find a way to solve the problem)

source Longman Dictionary