Fine x Ticket: Qual a diferença

When it comes to a car breach, what's the difference between a "fine" and a "ticket" ?

Thank you ;)

APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
And by the way, how can I say "infração de trânsito" in English? I'm not sure if "car breach" is a good way to say it...

Thank you ;)
Gabi 1 1 19
Oi Tiago,
aonde voce leu sobre car breach?
Eu nunca li isso , nem ouvi em lugar nenhum.
Mas talvez exista...nao sei.
De qualquer forma,

Car infraction = infracao de transito
Traffic infraction = infracao de transito

Quanto a "fine" e "ticket" ==== no difference at all.
Mas eu vou procurar saber sobre car breach.
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Olá Pessoal,

"Fine" e "ticket" podem ser sinônimos no que diz respeito a multas devido a uma "driving offence"(infração de trânsito)."Fine" é um termo mais amplo e pode se referir a outros tipos de multas e ainda ser usado como o verbo "multar"."The company was fined $14000".(A empresa foi multada em 14000)

Bons estudos!
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Yes, we often speak of "moving violations" to refer to infractions committed with a car in motion -- going through a late yellow or red light, speeding over the limit (speeding tickets), prohibited left or right turns, not yielding to pedestrians, failing to signal, etc., etc. These are moving violations.

Then there are parking infractions (parking in "no parking" zones, parking without paying required parking fee, etc). You also get tickets for these. Depending on the location and time, they may also summarily tow your car away. Typical towing charges you will have to pay to retrieve your vehicle, around US$250.00. Plus the parking fine.

Sometimes, depending on the nature of the infraction, you may be stopped, arrested, fined and charged criminally too, such as for "driving under the influence" (DIU).

A ticket or a fine is often also known as a "summons." "To summon" someone is to call that person to either plead guilty, accept the "summary conviction" and pay the fine as stipulated; or to request an appearance in court to contest the charges, to allege a less costly offence, to allege no offense and plead "not guilty" as charged. For minor offenses, the prosecution (the state) will often lessen the charge if you agree to plead guilty, subject to the judge going along.

I have been to Traffic Court twice in the last few months. The first time, I was one of the last cases heard. Several people before me had argued the facts with the traffic officer who had ticketed them, had clearly exasperated the judge with ineffectual arguments, and had all lost their cases. Fines assessed were as stipulated. When my turn came, the judge as always asked first, "How do you plead?" My answer: "Oh, I'm guilty as charged Your Honour... I'm here because I actually misunderstood the charge -- which I now do having just met with the ticketing officer." The Judge: "Well, finally an honest man! Sentence suspended, you may go." So, to my surprise, I was discharged.

The second time, before the court session started, I saw the prosecutor (known as the "Crown" in Canada) to let him know I was there. My fine was $30. for illegal parking somewhere. The prosecutor says, "Look, will you plead guilty for $10 dollars; otherwise you'll be here for about 1 to 2 hours." So I pleaded guilty as soon as summoned by the judge. We had an interesting friendly exchange:

Judge: "How do you plead Mr Cunha?"
Me: "Guilty in the terms agreed upon with the Crown, Your Honour."
Judge: "And the Crown's position?"
Crown: "Your Honour, we accept the plea and recommend the lesser fine of $10 dollars."
Judge (very affably): "Does that suit you, Mr Cunha?"
Me: "Indeed Your Honour, it must. Every half-hour here costs me almost two dollars of parking in the Court's parking lot. I am paying twice for my one sin."
Judge: "Mr Cunha, I hear you. This Court charges you $10 dollars with some regret and wishes you a lawfully speedy exit from our parking lot."
Me: "Thank you, Your Honour."

I actually enjoyed my two court appearances of 2009, but it is a lot easier if you can avoid parking tickets.

Regards
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Hi honest man,

Texto cheio de vocabulário interessante pros students:

- yielding to pedestrians: dar passagem pros pedestres (favor confimar se minha interpretação está correta)
- parking fee: aqui em SP chamamos isso de "parquímetro"
- tow the car away: rebocar / guinchar o carro
- driving under the influence: esse devia ir lá pros falsos cognatos, heim? Tradução: dirigir sob efeito de álcool
- to allege/ to pleage: alegar. Any difference between them?
- Atenção à colocação: How do you plead? (Brazilians would tend to say "What" instead of "How")

Henry Cunha escreveu:I have been to Traffic Court twice in the last few months.
I can guess how many times you've been in the last few years.
Well, anyway, in case you plan any trip to SP, don't forget to tell me in advance, just for me to be more careful in the streets... :D

Flávia
ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Blame me for barging in but I, too, got my share of transit tickets over a period of 27 years' small car driving, one for speeding through a lombada eletrônica-controlled[1] zone (55km/h on 40-km-only zone) at districtal Prazeres in Jaboatão dos Guararapes - PE. I also ran a late yellow light for which one of Recife's municipal guards issued me another ticket and then again I sped through yet another lombada-eletrônica controlled[1] zone (67km/h on a 60-km-only zone). I sulked for a while after these traffic (transit?) violations. Well, in a country notably unbeknownst for its increasingly dangerous stunts young and old drivers pull on a daily basis. Go figure... this out.

------------------------
[1] How does this go in English?
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Correção do meu post anterior: onde está "pleage" leia-se "plead"

Márcio, não resisti e procurei por "eletronic speed bump" no Google; existem algumas ocorrências, muitas delas em sites brasileiros. Desconfio que não seja o termo oficial. Vou lançar lá na seção pro pessoal tirar nossa dúvida.
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Just to be fair, Flávia, all my violations are for parking, and not moving violations, so you can rest easy when I'm driving in SP. (It's Márcio you have to watch out for!...)

"To allege" is to make a claim, which only becomes fact after being tested in court. All evidence material to a case are allegations until the court accepts them as facts. Both the prosecution as well as the defense may make allegations.

"To plead" is to state your belief about being guilty or not. A "plea" is just such a statement. Only the accused is required to plead, obviously. I can't think of the term in Portuguese...

We have speed bumps, usually in side streets, known as "traffic calming zones." Many cities use radar monitoring devices (hidden or advertised), that photograph your plates for issuing speed tickets. Ontario has ceased using unmonitored radar sites because it's the driver that needs to be ticketed, and not the car owner. So we have a lot of police with portable radar units pulling people over at strategic points, or with cars with mobile units. Radar detection units are prohibited by law and subject to immediate confiscation and fines. I believe police have radar detection detection units. It's a cat and mouse game.