For com sentido de propósito/finalidade

Olá pessoal,

Sei que "For" é usado como propósito/finalidade, mas estou em dúvida de se ele está certo em uma frase em específico.

Frase: "you had patience FOR learning English."

A "paciência" está existindo para o objetivo "aprender", ou seja, tem uma finalidade nisso, logo está certo?

Caso esteja errado, gostaria de saber o porquê.

Desde já, obrigado!

MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
1 resposta
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Patience for/patience to -

Patience for has a slight ring of "enduring" something, and often you talk about a momentaneus situation, let´s say to talk about 'episodes'. Very often with the focus on something recent or 'now' (habit/things one won´t suffer of others or situations, etc).
Whereas with more 'permanent' ones you may use "patience to".

I have precious little patience for disruptive students.
That's why I never had any patience for science.
He is quick to overreact and has little patience for life's imperfections.

[Source: Reverso ]

So: you never had the patience for learning English. (it´s okay if you are saying it (with focus) referring to now.

You had the patience for learning English. (less probable, unless you add something more - "you had the patience for learning English, but I don´t." (bring the focus to the present.)

You had the patience to learn English. (more likely - answering your initial question, to my thinking).

Patience in learning. [certainly meaning 'during/while' learning - in the process of...]
Another way to mean both, have the 'patience to' and have the patience for (endure it) and at the same time and it´s used with learn/learning more often than not. Assumes you are in the (middle of the) process of learning, and it works as a means you refer to a good behavior, a desirable one - for instance.

Some examples:
Stan's patience in learning to accept and endure negative emotions may change the way he relates to God.

As many people know, martial arts are not just for learning physical skills but also mental skills. Patience in learning will reap rewards.

Anyway, this is a comment from a student, others may reason differently and have other insights.