"From scratch" x "From the ground up": Qual a diferença

Is there any difference between "from scratch" and "from the ground up" ?

For me, both of them mean "do zero".

Thank you guys! ;)

EBOOK VERBO GET Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu email. INICIAR TESTE
4 respostas
Donay Mendonça 22 107 1.6k
Tiago,

"From scratch" é muito comum na expressão "start from scratch" "começar do zero","começar do nada","não ter preparo anterior."

Gostaria de um contexto onde você tenha visto "From the ground up".Não me é comum,o Longman não disse nada,talvez o contexto esclareça.

Boa sorte!
maryziller 1 2
donay mendonça escreveu:Tiago,

"From scratch" é muito comum na expressão "start from scratch" "começar do zero","começar do nada","não ter preparo anterior."

Gostaria de um contexto onde você tenha visto "From the ground up".Não me é comum,o Longman não disse nada,talvez o contexto esclareça.

Boa sorte!
"From the ground up" means from the [very] beginning. No prerequisite knowledge is required.
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/from+the+ground+up
Examples from the internet
...We are up to lesson ten of CSS from the Ground Up and I have a confession to make.
...From the Ground Up: Grassroots Organizations Making Social Change
...Astronomy from the Ground Up (AFGU) is a National Science Foundation funded program* developed to provide informal science educators at science centers
Humm, cool. So "from the ground up" has a slight difference from "from scratch". I got it! :)

Thanks you very much! ;)

PS: Donay, I don't remember the sentence where I saw the expression "from the ground up", that's why I didn't put it here. But I guess my question was already answered by Maryziller.
maryziller 1 2
Yes for me they are interchangeable in most contexts, but from the ground up is a little narrower in scope.
for example you can bake a cake from scratch (without a commercially prepared mix), but you cannot build a cake from the ground up. From the ground up feels like constructing something, like a buildng or a concept as in building knowledge in constructivist learning.

That said, I don't believe in reinventing the wheel unless it is absoluttely necessary to build something from the ground up and start over from scratch. I believe that "if it ain't (sic.) broken, don't fx it." (quote from Ann Landers, a famous advice columnist).

Here is a easy reading site that a colleague recommended yesterday http://www.eslfast.com/ .