Grow up x Growing Up

Please,

Sometimes I got a bit confused.

What's the correct one:

Was it tough to grow up with so many kids in the house?
Or
Was it tough growing up with so many kids in the house?

Or there would be another alternative?

Thank you and have a nice weekend!

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Hello, friends

I'm in trouble with those infinitives and gerunds.

What's the correct one here:

... We had no problem to grow up in such a big family ...
Or
... We had no problem growing up in such a big family ...

I would be very glad if someone could give me a hint or even better, a site where I could seek for this kind of uses to really learn about them.

Thank you! Have you all a blessed weekend!
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Google came up with 15,100 instances of "... No problem growing up" versus three or four of "... No problem to grow up". The overwhelming number of instances of the first example suggests native and nonnative speakers of English would rather settle for (or use more) "... Growing up", but not unless someone else on the forum states the contrary, in which case I will lower my hand and put it in my pocket.
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
As for the first post, I kept thinking "Was growing up with so many kids in the house tough?" might bring about some results. Or at least seem like an alternative most native and nonnative speakers of English might hang on to or heavily use.

Does someone else on the forum have any other ideas?
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Francisco.scesar, come to think of it, native and nonnative speakers of English will employ your construction "Was it tough growing...?" much more than the (extremely) rare instance I suggested.