How do you improve your English skills?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
I am an American, so you would think that I do not need to improve my English skills, however this assumption would be incorrect. Like all people I am lazy and I tend to lapse into vernacular or slang and I do not pay attention to proper grammatical construction. Reading what I have written or said helps me.

Since Cristina Panizza and I took the walk down the aisle (marriage) I try to use proper english when talking to her and I try to correct her enunciation, and construction by saying "English Lesson" - and then telling her what she said wrong.

She has two words that she has not been able to master and uses the Portugues words rather than English. A friend of ours from Sao Paulo who lives in Pensacola has the same problem. The words are sheet, and beach which both ladies can not enunciate correctly and people think they are cussing. :lol: both pronounce "ee" as "i" and ea "it", I think it is cute. :D

In my humble opinion the only way to improve your skills in any endevour is to practice, Practice, PRACTICE.

By the way, I intend my posts to help my Brasilian friends with their construction and vocabulary, and have no intention to imply that I am smarter or better. After all I can barely get by ordering a coffee in Portuguese.
Mr. Slayman is right.. Practice, Practice, Practice.
I improve my English reading, writing and of course speaking (or at least trying to speak).
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!

Thank you for your response, and agreeing with me. My only suggested correction to your post is to ask that you and all other members call me Bill, while appreciated, calling me "Mr. Slayman" is not necessary.
Oh, that's okay then, Bill! By the way, it's your name William? Because I know a guy nicknamed Bill and his true name is William! ^^ Best Regards and welcome to the English Experts Forum!

Yes, William is my given name, ame the name on my birth certificate is William John Slayman, Junior (a real mouth full) so I use the nickname of Bill. :D When I was growing up my Aunts and Uncles would call my Father Big Bill and me Little Bill, which was OK until I started high school. :(

One suggested change I would make is to say "Is William your real name?" You can also use given, or proper instead of real.

Thank you for responding and asking questions. I do enjoy trying help my Brasilian friends improve their English Skills, even though I need help myself.
Thanks for answering Bill!
For sure you are helping me to improve my English skills and I'm writing down your tips.
All the best, and if you need any help with some Portuguese stuff, just let me know!

Ravenna :D
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12290 1 21 206
Well, that set me wondering why the Englishexperts forum does not have a section for foreigners willing to learn (and discuss) Portuguese. Foreigners could write posts either in Portuguese or in English and ask forum users questions about Brazilian Portuguese in any way they want. By "in any way they want," I mean anything Portuguese, the informality that goes with it and the possibility of leaving out cuss words and vulgar expressions unexcluded.

What do the forum mods think?

I have improved my English studying it every day through different ways, even though somedays I don't find a lot of time to. I have visited and participated in the EE forum (in other words: here), where I see opportunities to become better my discussing skills in writting. I am able to learn penty of grammar rules and tips here. For the last two weeks, I did a account at, where I have spoken to other people in English, so, it is improving my conversation skills. I am also listen to podcasts, almost every day I find time to that at the moments I am cleaning my house or going home by bus.
I have had some friends who I am speaking to through Skype, I mean people throughout the world. To be honest, it has been amazing to me speak to people that I don't know and doesn't know my native language, it has showed me I am able to be understood through only my English.
On the weekends I have watched some TV series where I can learn a lot of idioms and words, it has made my ears to aware of differents accents and levels of speedy voices. Often I listen to CNN and BBC radios by Internet.
Regularly I read texts and cartoons in order to make me aware of informal English.

Well, I guess I said everything.

I improve my English skills by:
-listeninig to music
-watching movies
-talking with my cousin
-sometimes i listen to podcasts
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Leia o e-book Aprendendo Idiomas por Conta Própria e conheça as técnicas utilizadas pelos Experts para aprender idiomas. Com ele você vai aprender a aprender inglês!

Baixar uma Amostra Grátis!
- I watch series in English,
- I always listen to podcasts,
- I participate in the EE forum.
- I read to NYT.
- I talk to native speakers.