How do you improve your English skills?

Regras do fórum
Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
kah_honma 20
Speaking

I like to practice my speaking by talking with some friends through the telephone in English and singing American songs.

Listening

I think listening to American music, watching TV series in English without subtitles, listening to English talk shows and/or conversations, etc. I like to use Audiobooks too.

Reading

When it comes to reading people might think it's a boring and hard way to study English, but it can be really relaxing: when you're reading English articles in the internet, searching for information in English websites, reading a book, a magazine, a folder, a flyer, a newspaper, a cartoon, a charge, etc, you're automatically practicing your reading skill. I like doing those things, as well.

Writing

I often type in English with my friends by Whatsapp or Facebook to practice my Writing skill. I also like writing comments about some things in English too.

You can choose the proper ways that are better for you to help you improve your habilities. Here are just some tips that works for me, but it depends on every one to discover it's own self-study way.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 15 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores e linguistas certificados. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Iniciar o Teste Online!

leandrocs1310 25
- I watch series in English,
- I always listen to podcasts,
- I participate in the EE forum.
- I read to NYT.
- I talk to native speakers.

Leohm 290 1 6
Well, I think that I've made it to a level where you can only go further by simply expanding your vocabulary. I have a pretty good understanding of the structure of the language, so learning grammar rules or whatever is clearly not necessary anymore. What I mostly do now in order to make it to the next level is watch tv shows, it helps me enhance my listening skills and pick up some new vocabulary, I write down the words that I learn on a notepad so they don't slip out my mind... I also do some reading when I feel like it... And I enjoy watching documentaries on youtube as well. If you want to make it far in your English journey, you have to combine business with pleasure.

LISA STEPHANIE
I've been trying to listen to podcasts, watching some series at Netflix without subtitles and reading books as well, and it's doing all right, but I still got problems with my pronunciation, sometimes I put the word that I have some difficult saying and I Listen and repeat for several times, but I think this is also a matter of time to improve my English.

Logan18 30
I'm first!

I've been trying to improve my English through different modes of learning, I attend classes at YouMove English School, I've watched several series lately, like " Supernatural, Lost... " Always I can I'm listening to podcast " Flatmates " and I pratice my writing and reading with my friend on the internet and every day all day long I'm here at forúm EE.

I'm not improve my speaking yet, I'm very shy... that's so hard for me to do it, sometimes I talk to myself... I'm getting crazy!

Cheers! In special to Flávia.

Lucas V. 15
Reading books in english (the last book I've bought was The Red Pyramid - The Kane Chronicles -, from Rick Riordan), watching sitcoms (Big Bang Theory, No Ordinary Family, Community, Scrubs and others), watching movies, listening to musics, etc.

And reading EE. k
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Vamos aprender sobre os famosos Modal Verbs? Faça o download do guia "Verbos Modais em inglês" da English Live. Você conhecerá os tipos de modal verbs, o que cada um deles significa e exemplos de como usar no dia a dia.

Download do Guia em PDF - Grátis!

Lucianna
I listen a lot of podcasts, I read some texts everyday, I practice conversation with myself in the mirror (because I am too shy to talk to others) , I watch films in english (with transcript in portuguese first, then I watch without transcript), I watch tv shows in the internet and I also listen musics in english, most of the time.

Well, that's what I do to improve my english.
xo, Lu.

Marcio_Farias 12540 1 23 211
Well, that set me wondering why the Englishexperts forum does not have a section for foreigners willing to learn (and discuss) Portuguese. Foreigners could write posts either in Portuguese or in English and ask forum users questions about Brazilian Portuguese in any way they want. By "in any way they want," I mean anything Portuguese, the informality that goes with it and the possibility of leaving out cuss words and vulgar expressions unexcluded.

What do the forum mods think?

Mel Mendes
Watching series and films with subs, talking with myself only in English and watching videos of internacional youtubers, even that I don't understand everything yet.

Moisés Gonçalves 30 1
I'm trying to improve the studies. I watch videos on Youtube, hear some audios and read short texts. I'm beginner.

OtávioGaião 5
I practice english every single day through tv series, musics and websites.
Everyday I watch something in english, like: supernatural, family guy, american dad, the simpsons, the vampire diaries, true blood.... Even the animes I used to watch with subtitles in portuguese I now watch subtitled in english.
Once a week I go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/ to practise my spoken english (By the way, I would like to know an american website akin to this one) and english experts to solve my questions.
I also attend to classes at CNA, though I'm not learning as much as I used to (I'm in last level).
I think in order to learn english you need to be very determined and practice a lot.

My pronunciation is my worst problem.

p.s: I dont know why but I can watch cartooned(Ive just made this word up)-tv series(the simpons for example) without any subtitles and I understand everything, but I can't do the same with non-cartooned series. Weird, isnt it?

PauloReis
I'm currently doing a course at Englishtown and Duolingo. I try to read short texts, because I'm still starting at the language, and I'm looking for native speakers for better learning

PPAULO 50685 6 42 918
@wflaviorj
Hey man, are you enjoying the Englishtown's method? How is it? (talking about the method)
(or if you choose to rephrase it into ...Englishtown's methods, then you can say How are they?)

@Joao1221
I am trying to watch movies in English and with (English) subtitles. Other way that I'm using to improve my English is to listen music and then trying to complete gaps in the lyrics.

See you around. All in all, congrats on your English skills, guys.

PPAULO 50685 6 42 918
If you want to make it far in your English journey, you have to combine business with pleasure.
Welll said!
And congratulations to all that love to learn and know all things English, there´s is always some room to improvement and room to have fun with it as well. ;-)

PPAULO 50685 6 42 918
Glad to know that, you will get there. That you are listening to audios and reading some. You will be amazed how your English will improve. Count on us. ;-)

psychogirl
3Laah9 escreveu:I usually improve my English skills watching my favorite series in English, listening to music and talking to my friend that is also learning English! :)
You see, I always wanted a friend who knew english to talk to me! Always thought it would be so nice... haha :(
But anyways, I believe that what helps the most is music. Listen to the song, read the lyrics and then translate some words I don't know... I read poems and texts in english, sometimes I watch interviews and other videos at youtube, as not subtitled then I have to make that effort to understand. Subtitled movies is also a nice way of improvement. And still, if there is a film that I really like and I've already seen it subtitled over and over, I try it with english subtitles. It's an advance.

raquelpas
I've been listening music, watching movies, reading articles on the internet and writing emails to myself, looks weird, but when you write something that no one will read, you can feel more confident about it and you can read it after and see your mistakes.
Write like a diary or somethng like that
However, I have to study more.
Practise makes perfect.
=)

Ravenna 85 3
Mr. Slayman is right.. Practice, Practice, Practice.
I improve my English reading, writing and of course speaking (or at least trying to speak).

Ravenna 85 3
Oh, that's okay then, Bill! By the way, it's your name William? Because I know a guy nicknamed Bill and his true name is William! ^^ Best Regards and welcome to the English Experts Forum!

Ravenna 85 3
Thanks for answering Bill!
For sure you are helping me to improve my English skills and I'm writing down your tips.
All the best, and if you need any help with some Portuguese stuff, just let me know!

Ravenna :D

renatinha31
I use to talk alone because I dont´n have anyone to practice with me , I ´ve been studying only in my english classes , sometimes I watch films , listen music , answer tests on the internet for know how is my grammar , today it´s my first day in this blog and I intend practice more now !

Ricardo F. Bernardi 11110 19 221
I love to practice English with crosswords, songs and tongue-twisters.

Rodrigo Cassiano 80 1
So I attend English classes at "Wizard" and I like to watch movies, football games, all things that keep me up with English!!

When I'm at school, my teacher writes in Portuguese and I write in English on my book.. haha' :D

That's what I do! :D

ROSEMARY
I read english books, listen to the music and do the crosswords.

SusaneSST
To improve my english I'm trying to read the book Dear John, Nicholas Sparks, but it's too dificult. I'm watchting "How I meet your mother" with subtitles in English, it's a little more easy than the book. But I think I have to do more than that, I'm learning too slowly. Maybe talk to somebody.

Taysa
I improve my english skills by watching english movies, listen to english musiscs, going to my english classes twice a week and mostly surfing the net!

Vanessa Quadros
Hello!!

I improve my english:

- Attend classes at Centro de Línguas Antonio Houaiss ("Argos" - Jundiaí);
- Watching movies in English with subtitles in English too;
- Listening musics and studying the vocabulary;
- Reading little books, articles...;
- Writing answers here in the E.E. forum.

Bye!

w.slayman 110
I am an American, so you would think that I do not need to improve my English skills, however this assumption would be incorrect. Like all people I am lazy and I tend to lapse into vernacular or slang and I do not pay attention to proper grammatical construction. Reading what I have written or said helps me.

Since Cristina Panizza and I took the walk down the aisle (marriage) I try to use proper english when talking to her and I try to correct her enunciation, and construction by saying "English Lesson" - and then telling her what she said wrong.

She has two words that she has not been able to master and uses the Portugues words rather than English. A friend of ours from Sao Paulo who lives in Pensacola has the same problem. The words are sheet, and beach which both ladies can not enunciate correctly and people think they are cussing. :lol: both pronounce "ee" as "i" and ea "it", I think it is cute. :D

In my humble opinion the only way to improve your skills in any endevour is to practice, Practice, PRACTICE.

By the way, I intend my posts to help my Brasilian friends with their construction and vocabulary, and have no intention to imply that I am smarter or better. After all I can barely get by ordering a coffee in Portuguese.

w.slayman 110
Ravenna,

Thank you for your response, and agreeing with me. My only suggested correction to your post is to ask that you and all other members call me Bill, while appreciated, calling me "Mr. Slayman" is not necessary.

w.slayman 110
Ravenna,

Yes, William is my given name, ame the name on my birth certificate is William John Slayman, Junior (a real mouth full) so I use the nickname of Bill. :D When I was growing up my Aunts and Uncles would call my Father Big Bill and me Little Bill, which was OK until I started high school. :(

One suggested change I would make is to say "Is William your real name?" You can also use given, or proper instead of real.

Thank you for responding and asking questions. I do enjoy trying help my Brasilian friends improve their English Skills, even though I need help myself.

MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Está se preparando para as provas de proficiência? Faça o download do  guia da English Live: 10 Dicas Para as Provas do TOEFL e TOEIC. Nele você encontrará informações úteis e dicas na hora de realizar a prova.

Download do Guia em PDF - Grátis!