How do you improve your English skills?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
I'm watching movies and hearing songs with lyrics. It's being nice to me and to my study.
My english is getting better day after day..
I've been listening music, watching movies, reading articles on the internet and writing emails to myself, looks weird, but when you write something that no one will read, you can feel more confident about it and you can read it after and see your mistakes.
Write like a diary or somethng like that
However, I have to study more.
Practise makes perfect.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você sabe como está o seu nível de inglês? Teste agora GRÁTIS em apenas alguns minutos.

Clique aqui para iniciar o Teste Online!
Avatar do usuário Alessandro159 15 1
JacksonB escreveu:I really do all that stuff,

Attend classes at Instituto Internacional de Idiomas (III) - I bet you don't know this one.
watch movies in English, subtitles in English as well.
I also listen to musics in English.. actually, I don't listen to Brazilian musics (very much) :/
I'm so curious, I scan everywhere due to find interesting things about English :)
and..well.. I Talk to Myself!! haha thats insane i know
SONGS in English, Brazilian SONGS
I usually improve my English skills watching my favorite series in English, listening to music and talking to my friend that is also learning English! :)
Avatar do usuário EugenioTM 320 9
I increase my vocabulary and listening with music lyrics, listen to podcasts often, read in loud voice some texts that I find interesting to practice my english speaking, write essays to be better in writing, anyway... Now I try to write many answers to the EE topics in the forum!!
I watch movies, TV Shows. And I memorize songs that I like and I sing.
3Laah9 escreveu:I usually improve my English skills watching my favorite series in English, listening to music and talking to my friend that is also learning English! :)

You see, I always wanted a friend who knew english to talk to me! Always thought it would be so nice... haha :(
But anyways, I believe that what helps the most is music. Listen to the song, read the lyrics and then translate some words I don't know... I read poems and texts in english, sometimes I watch interviews and other videos at youtube, as not subtitled then I have to make that effort to understand. Subtitled movies is also a nice way of improvement. And still, if there is a film that I really like and I've already seen it subtitled over and over, I try it with english subtitles. It's an advance.
Avatar do usuário edrob518 3130 6 70
How do I improve my English?

It all started at the beginning of last year when I had contact with the English language for the first time. And it was, I would say, love at first sight. TV shows was, however, the major reason I started studying it in the first place. So, I thought to myself: well, I enjoy studying English and watching tv shows I might as well combine both and so I did. Thankfully, after doing that my English improved by leaps and bounds. And just to make it clear, my skills are far from being perfect. :)

This is how I hone my English skills:

1) First I choose a tv show I enjoy and that is neither too long nor too short and I usually choose a show whose vocabulary I'm likely to use in my English conversations. After doing this, I watch the show with the subtitles turned off so that I don't get distracted reading the subtitlee. The whole point of doing this is to improve my listening, after all. If you try doing this, dont worry if you miss some words here and there.

2) This time around I turn the subtitles on checking every single word I may have missed at the first attempt and if the word/idiomatic expression is new to me I jot down and look up the meaning later. At this time, it'll much easier because you already know what's going on in the show.

Dont get hung up on understanding everything, just focus on the bigger picture.

It may be boring to watch the same episode twice, but it certainly pays off in the end. If you want to achieve fluency you must be willing to go great lenghts to get it.
To improve my english I'm trying to read the book Dear John, Nicholas Sparks, but it's too dificult. I'm watchting "How I meet your mother" with subtitles in English, it's a little more easy than the book. But I think I have to do more than that, I'm learning too slowly. Maybe talk to somebody.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Há quanto tempo você estuda inglês? Já passou por sua cabeça que você pode estar estudando de uma forma que dá pouco ou quase nenhum resultado? Que tal fazer um intensivo de inglês de 180 dias e recuperar o tempo perdido? Em 6 meses você pode elevar o seu inglês a um novo patamar.

Clique aqui para conhecer o curso!
In fact I watch my favorite series in english but with the english subtitles turn on. I think that my listening is too poor to understand what the characters are speaking. Furthermore I use some apps like Duolingo, Linguly and Leo. And now I decided to try this forum too ;]