How do you improve your English skills?

Regras do fórum
Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
Flavia.lm 3975 1 9 91
Question: How do you improve your English skills?

Examples of answers:

- I attend classes at XXX School,
- I watch films in English,
- I always listen to podcasts,
- I practice conversation with a friend,
- I participate in the EE forum.

Now it's your turn!

Cf. Why, when and how did you start studying English?
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 15 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores e linguistas certificados. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Iniciar o Teste Online!
63 respostas
Ordenar por: Autor

3Laah9
I usually improve my English skills watching my favorite series in English, listening to music and talking to my friend that is also learning English! :)

64well
I watch movies, TV Shows. And I memorize songs that I like and I sing.

Agash 5
I read texts in scientificamerican and ieespectrum every day and also see movies in english when i can... I like to listen podcasts but right now i need to increase my reading!
Moreover, i wish i could attend classes in an English course. However, i don't have time enough for this...

AlanC 10
I listen to a lot of podcasts everyday on LingQ..also, I read articles that interest me.
My target is improve my listening and reading.

alegsantos
- I listen to a webradio from the US...
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você ainda se confunde com os tempos verbais em inglês? Faça o download do Guia de Tempos Verbais em Inglês oferecido pela English Live. Ele tem um resumo bem estruturado para você revisar os conceitos que aprendeu na escola.

Download do Guia em PDF - Grátis!

Alessandro159 5
Well,
-I listen to podcasts
-I surf on the internet (most of the websites I read are in English)
-I watch movies in English
-I listen to songs and try to understand them (though there are a few songs that even native speakers can't understand)

That's it! Bye.

Alessandro159 5
JacksonB escreveu:I really do all that stuff,

Attend classes at Instituto Internacional de Idiomas (III) - I bet you don't know this one.
watch movies in English, subtitles in English as well.
I also listen to musics in English.. actually, I don't listen to Brazilian musics (very much) :/
I'm so curious, I scan everywhere due to find interesting things about English :)
and..well.. I Talk to Myself!! haha thats insane i know
SONGS in English, Brazilian SONGS

Anahg
I attend classes at SOS English School,I listen a lot of songs only english also i watch movies with subtitles...

barbara.s 10
Well for me the best way to learn english is trying to put this indiom in some of my daily activities which i like to do most such as:

- wacthing movies in english legended in english
- listening to songs and seeing the lyrics
- doing some exercises i find the on internet.
:D

Belinassi
By Belinassi Saturday sepetember 17,2011

I improve my English once time for week at FISK school, watching films In English. In my job I used to speak with my
co works , I like reading Speakup magazine,writing , reading,listening music that all of English. But accept sugestion
of skills friends.

My adress belinassi@yahoo.com.br or belinassi@mxb.com.br

A big hug for alls

By By

Carlos Schults
Well, everyday I listen to the English As A Second Language Podcast, by Dr. Jeff McQuillan.
Then, I listen to it one more time, and I write the script of the podcast, so I can practice both my listening and writing skills.

I also listen to songs in English, and I watch a lot of movies as well as tv shows, with English audio and subtitles.

Daniel K.
Well,

- I have contact with the English language every day. I listen to podcasts and music, I access Web sites in English, I even play learning games in English (like crossword puzzles);
- I search some words/phrasal verbs in Google, then I look at the results to see how they are used;
- I watch videos in English;
- I read aloud lots of texts and dialogs to practice my speaking;
- Sometimes I watch movies without subtitles;
- And I access English learning websites like English Experts.

Bye

danilorpo 5
I've trying improve my English skills through these things:

- I attend classes at SENAC School;
- I watch films series in English at least three times a week;
- I always listen to podcasts - One of I really enjoy listening is Spark from CBC (it's Canadian);
- I practice conversation with a friend on the internet by email and msn,
- I participate in the EE forum and EE Chat.
- I surf on the net looking for good videos and tips to improve my English as well.

By the way, Flavia you had a great idea in ask to everyone about our habilities on this beautiful language.

danilorpo 5
I'd forgotten other thing I do to improve my English is collect phrases and expressions in a notebook. Doing this, I can improve my writing, vocabulary and speaking, because I use them to read aloud. I collect them in movies, series, English Experts blog and others great blogs.

If you wanna know more about this kind of study, I can ask me: danilorpo@gmail.com

Diego__Diego 5
I usually listen to musics with lyrics, I pay attention to English classes (exemplary student ^^).
I think I only improve my English skills that way... Wow, now I feel terrible.

edrob518 3160 6 71
How do I improve my English?

It all started at the beginning of last year when I had contact with the English language for the first time. And it was, I would say, love at first sight. TV shows was, however, the major reason I started studying it in the first place. So, I thought to myself: well, I enjoy studying English and watching tv shows I might as well combine both and so I did. Thankfully, after doing that my English improved by leaps and bounds. And just to make it clear, my skills are far from being perfect. :)

This is how I hone my English skills:

1) First I choose a tv show I enjoy and that is neither too long nor too short and I usually choose a show whose vocabulary I'm likely to use in my English conversations. After doing this, I watch the show with the subtitles turned off so that I don't get distracted reading the subtitlee. The whole point of doing this is to improve my listening, after all. If you try doing this, dont worry if you miss some words here and there.

2) This time around I turn the subtitles on checking every single word I may have missed at the first attempt and if the word/idiomatic expression is new to me I jot down and look up the meaning later. At this time, it'll much easier because you already know what's going on in the show.

Dont get hung up on understanding everything, just focus on the bigger picture.

It may be boring to watch the same episode twice, but it certainly pays off in the end. If you want to achieve fluency you must be willing to go great lenghts to get it.

Eduardo Souza
I read magazines and papers in English, I listen a lot of podcasts, I listen stand up, I read all posts that forum, I watch movies/TV Shows in English.

I don't still understand everthing I hear, but I go on trying.

Hugs
Eduardo

Elisa M.
(well...my first post in this forum...so let's go.)

I improve my english:

-Watching movies and series like Friends, The Big Bang Theory, Grey's Anatomy, Supernatural, blablabla, always in english but with subtitles (cause I'm still learning some vocabulary)
-Listening to music and singing with the lyrics that I take on the net... and also trying to translate it 'cause I like to know what I'm singing.
-Participating of many internationals websites, like DeviantArt, it's an art website and there we meet a lot of people around the whole world, so I improved my english a lot talking with people who commented my pictures and stuff.
-Talking in english with some friends.
-Being an english teacher... well my english skills aren't perfect, I mean... I'm not so good in english, I got a lot of dificults in vocabulary and speaking fluently ahhh and also in prepositions as you can see... but I'm very good with grammar and I teach the first module of an english school here in SP. students love the way I teach because I'm patient and dynamic and I think i was born with that feeling of being a teacher, and I'm just 19 years old, but I teach people like 50 years old and they're learning well. =P

That's it. I love this forum, I've been coming here for a few months but this is the first time I decided to post something. Congratz to the staff team! This forum helps a lot! ;)

ENG_rafael 10
Hello,

I have improved my English studying it every day through different ways, even though somedays I don't find a lot of time to. I have visited and participated in the EE forum (in other words: here), where I see opportunities to become better my discussing skills in writting. I am able to learn penty of grammar rules and tips here. For the last two weeks, I did a account at SharedTalk.com, where I have spoken to other people in English, so, it is improving my conversation skills. I am also listen to podcasts, almost every day I find time to that at the moments I am cleaning my house or going home by bus.
I have had some friends who I am speaking to through Skype, I mean people throughout the world. To be honest, it has been amazing to me speak to people that I don't know and doesn't know my native language, it has showed me I am able to be understood through only my English.
On the weekends I have watched some TV series where I can learn a lot of idioms and words, it has made my ears to aware of differents accents and levels of speedy voices. Often I listen to CNN and BBC radios by Internet.
Regularly I read texts and cartoons in order to make me aware of informal English.

Well, I guess I said everything.

Regards!

ENG_rafael 10
In these days, I've reading a lot as well as watching plenty of TV series, without subtitles, even if I'm not ready for understanding all the talks, but I'am able to get the plot, thus it's enough to keep doing this, to be honest due to that last item I've noticed a remarkable improvement in my listening abilities, for sure in a near future I'll be capable to understand English talks very well.
Another thing I've done is reading some texts in loud voice, it helps me to speak more correctly the words, trying to emphasize which is really important in an expression, that's a huge task that who are dreaming about being good at English as well as a native has to pay atttention to.
But, I reccomend you to read what people are writting here, because something which works for me might not work for someone else.

EugenioTM 345 10
I increase my vocabulary and listening with music lyrics, listen to podcasts often, read in loud voice some texts that I find interesting to practice my english speaking, write essays to be better in writing, anyway... Now I try to write many answers to the EE topics in the forum!!

Falcao 20
I improve my English skills by:
-listeninig to music
-watching movies
-talking with my cousin
-sometimes i listen to podcasts

felipeh6 2260 7 56
I improve it doing something in English at least 15 minutes each day.

gabriel_lentis
I'm watching movies and hearing songs with lyrics. It's being nice to me and to my study.
My english is getting better day after day..

Gustavo Dias 25
To improve my English skills, I use to listen to podcast in ESL(English as a Second Language) sites, it's very good. And I like to choose some English musics to listen to, and sing... I try, try a lot to sing that music untill I become good and sing with the pronunciation correctly.

inamoris
Well,

I have trying to be in touch with English language;

watching Tv, movies in English,
Reading aloud texts,
and now participating in the EE forum.
I like to hear podcast, this improve pronounce :) .

JacksonB 105 2
I really do all that stuff,

Attend classes at Instituto Internacional de Idiomas (III) - I bet you don't know this one.
watch movies in English, subtitles in English as well.
I also listen to musics in English.. actually, I don't listen to Brazilian musics (very much) :/
I'm so curious, I scan everywhere due to find interesting things about English :)
and..well.. I Talk to Myself!! haha thats insane i know

janetesj
Hi, I'm improving my English by watching movies on TV, listening to the radio, talking with friends in my job, in my professional position we uses too much English (IT); last whole week I worked as interpreter on a congress in my church, there were people of several states from USA and Canadians too, it was amazing. It was a good chance to putting me on proof.

Joao1221
I am watching English classes at SENAC-PE, further, I am trying watch movies in English and with English subtitles, other way that I'm using to improve my english is listen music and trying to complete gaps in the lyrics.

MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você confunde o "then" com "than" ou o "a" ou "an"? Faça o download do Guia da English Live com uma lista de 10 palavras em inglês que causam confusão. O guia vem com atividades para praticar.

Download do Guia em PDF - Grátis!