How good are you at Brazilian geography?

Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Hi Folks,

It´s pretty common in English to use expressions related to the points of the compass: north, south, east and west. A number of useful compound words are also common:
1. In the direction of: northwards, suthwards, eastwards, westwards -- and also northeastwards, etc. for points in-between.
2. In comparative terms: northernmost, southernmost, etc.

So here´s the test. Without any reference to maps (no cheating now!!), can you complete the following sentences?
(Warning: More than one answer may be possible.)

1. Above the equator, the ______________ state capital is ________________.
2. Traveling ________________ from Brasília, the first state capital you hit is _________________.
3. Except for Porto Alegre, the _______________ state capital would be ________________.
4. Below the equator and on the coast, the ___________________ state capital is _________________.
5. You can practically walk __________________ from the Tropic of Capricorn to be in downtown _______________.

Good luck and don´t get lost!

AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
7 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
I have a secret to tell you... the participants of the forum skipped the Geography classes to study English... :D

Let me try anyway...

1. Above the equator, the northernmost state capital is Boa Vista.
2. Traveling southwestwards from Brasília, the first state capital you hit is Goiânia.
3. Except for Porto Alegre, the southernmost state capital would be Florianópolis.
4. Below the equator and on the coast, the easternmost state capital is Belém.
5. You can practically walk southwards from the Tropic of Capricorn to be in downtown São Paulo .

ps1: southwards is misspelled in your message;
ps2: of course I looked it up in a map :o

Flavia
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Hi Flávia

For you, obviously, we need to invent more challenging exercises!

For #4, did you mean to write westernmost?

Regards
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
As you can see, I also skipped some Geography classes ;)
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Flavia.lm escreveu:As you can see, I also skipped some Geography classes ;)
You didn't make a mistake. You inadvertently "mispoke," in impeccable English. (Laughs!)

Cheers
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
I did not understand what you mean.

What did I "mispeak"?
What's wrong about easternmost?
TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Hi Flávia,

Well, it seemed to me that "below the Equator and on the coast," there are many other Brazilian cities farther to the east than Belém. (Recife, for example.) So I thought you had meant to write "westernmost" -- which it is, although Florianópolis may be the other candidate.

Regards
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
:oops: no comments..........

(this answers how good I am at Brazilian geography.............................)

at least i dared to try :D