How to teach esl to kids?

Hi!

What is your approach to teaching esl to children (7 to 10 years old)? I know that we must use games and songs, because we need to keep them motivated. But what else?
Do you teach writing (and reading, of course) or only practice listening and speaking? This is the main thing I would like to know.

Like teaching colors: blue, green, etc. Do you show them how to write these words?
PS: if you do this, it's better to pronounce them before write them, otherwise they will associate the word with the Portuguese sounds and make it hard for them to pronounce it correctly.

Beyond that:
Could you suggest vocabulary other than colors, fruits, family members and animals?
Do you teach only vocabulary?

Thank you.

APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
2 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Tivfroa,

Teaching kids can be easier than teaching adults.Once you get used to it,you´ll really enjoy working with children.There are basically two things to be considered:

1.You´ll have to be able to not only teach but also entertain them.I suggest:
a.Try to get to know them and give them exercises they enjoy doing,like cartoons,songs,games,etc.
b.Always motivate them by showing they´re doing well.

2.You'll have to be patient and understanding.
a.Never treat kids like their parents do.
b.Give them space and never try to control them as if you were their mother or father.
a.Show them flexible rules.

-->You can teach the basics,especially colors,fruits,food,animals,family,etc.The pronunciation is also very important.Not only vocabulary.

Good Luck!
Hej!

I'm an English student and I'm thinking to start teaching my 02 brothers. One of them is 7 years old and another one is 12 years old. I've been studying English for 2 years and I think and hope that I'm able to do it. The only problem is: I know that they don't want to study English right now. I'll try to do it with my younger brother (7 years old) though.

Thanks!
Gui.