I'm no X I'm not

ernando 2
Hi guys,

I've got a question about the expression 'I am no', as in 'I'm no King' or 'I'm no traitor', I would usually say 'I'm not a King' and 'I'm not a traitor' instead of the two first sentences, but I'm watching a Tv Serie in which the characters use the first structure with "no" way more than the one with "not". Is there any difference in terms of meaning, even if it's just a slight difference, between this two expressions?

Might be useful: The Tv Serie is in British English, and it take place in Medieval times.

More examples:
1. I'm no witch - I'm not a witch
2. I'm no fool - I'm not a fool

By the way, which one is more common "Tv Serie" or "Tv Show"?

Thanks in advance. :D
Please, correct my mistakes. ;)

APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
2 respostas
Hi Ernando!

I believe there's no significant difference in meaning between these two structures. They can be used interchangeably for the most part. To me, "I'm no king" is just slightly more emphatic than "I'm not a king". What you're basically saying is that you don't have the legal authority of a king to perform a given task. I suppose that "I'm no [something]" could be roughly equated with the Portuguese expression "Eu não sou nenhum [algo]":

"I'm no traitor." - "Eu não sou nenhum traidor".
"I'm no witch!" - "Eu não sou nenhuma bruxa!"

As for your second question, the expression "TV show" is more common than "TV series" in general everyday English. I believe the word "show" is more generic than "series", however, as it comprises TV and radio programs in general. A "TV series", on the other hand, is made up of two or more episodes, which are broadcast in a logical sequence.
ernando 2
Thank you very much Jonas Machado.