"I will have" - para fazer pedidos: Como funciona?

Hello folks!!

How you doing? :P

I was watching Two and Half Men and i saw an interesting expression...

The waitress came to Walden and said... : Hi there, what can i get you?

and he said: I will have a ginger ale, please.

It sounds weird to me.. "I will have" to order something...

It's more ordinary to me tu use "I would like to have..." or "Can I have...?"

Could someone explain to me, why to use "I will have.." to make an order? is it formal or very informal?

Thanks in advance.
Editado pela última vez por Donay Mendonça em 11 Nov 2011, 15:49.
Razão: Padronização

TESTE DE NÍVEL Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
2 respostas
mlm
Hi dude!

You can use the expression "I will have" to order something (but is informal). For example, at a bar:

Ordering your drink:
Bartenders are busy people. Don’t take too long to place your order. Ask to see a drink list if you aren’t sure.

I’ll have a pint of …
We’d like a pitcher/jug of beer. (to share between 2 or more)
I’ll have a bottle of ________ (beer name or beer type)
I’ll have a glass of red wine. The house wine is fine. (the wine that the bar uses most often)
I’ll have a glass of white.
We’d like a half litre of import white.
We’d like a litre of house red.
We’d like a bottle of … (specific wine from list). We’ll need three glasses please.
Can I have another…? (name the drink you already had)
We’d like another round please. (Each person at your table would like a second drink of the same kind.)
We’d like a round of shooters please.
I’ll have a …. this time. (change your second drink to a different type or size such as a bottle instead of a pint)

More information at: http://edition.englishclub.com/survival/at-the-bar/

And I have some observations about your question:

1- The "I" that you have used is always writing with capital letter (in the middle of phrase too).

2- It's not good to say: I saw an interesting expression (if you watched it on television). It's better to say: I heard an interesting expression.

HTH!
Very good!

Thanks buddy!

About my question ... I know that I have to use "I" capital, even in the middle of phrases ... but, I forget it sometimes.. hahhaa

and about the "I heard an interesting expression..." I didn't know that, thank you so much!