Interrogativa sem auxiliar no inglês

Olá,

Lendo um texto, um diálogo entre dois amigos, um deles aconselha o outro a mudar seus hábitos alimentares, e o outro, a certa altura da conversa, pergunta:

You mean I should become a vegetarian?

A forma correta da pergunta não seria "Do you mean I should become a vegetarian?"

A pergunta, como aparece no texto, sem o auxiliar do, é admitida nesse contexto? Existem outros contextos em que essa forma de perguntar aparece?

Obrigado.

CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Eu acho que a intenção primeira do locutor não era fazer uma pergunta, e sim uma afirmação, então "não deu tempo" de ele colocar o auxiliar. Tanto que a entonação da frase começa com uma afirmação, mas a entonação interrogativa só vem no final.
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Corroboro estes dizeres.
Thomas 7 62 296
Numa conversa, se admitem muitas coisas não permitidas num documento ou carta. Não estão "corretas", mas se dizem e o estudante tem que entendê-las.

Want a beer?
How about some coffee?
Too much sugar?
Give you enough cream?
More wine?"
Got some money?
Had a good time?
Went to the movies?
I was reading the last edition of "Curitiba in English" (http://curitibainenglish.com.br/thejour ... .php?id=41) and saw something very interesting there. Check it out:

"(...) A statement can become a question simply by changing the tune, using rising notes at the end of the sentence; something which has become painfully clear in the English language in the last couple of decades. Influenced by Australian soap opera, the younger generation started to pick up on the accents of the characters and introduced rising notes at the end of practically every sentence they spoke, so that everything they said to you sounded like a question. This can change things radically; a statement like, ”We went to the cinema” with a rising tune is a bit like asking, ”Do you know what a cinema is?” Still, fads come and go and languages are forever evolving and mutating, and people love to play with words, and thank God. Without that spirit of play we wouldn’t have had Shakespeare’s beautiful works, the wit of Gilbert and Sullivan operettas, and the joy of the many great poets of time."

Hope it helps! ;)