Is it important to lose our accent when we speak English?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
I've already posted on this topic before but I'd like to post again: Previously I said that it's important to lose our accent when trying to speak other languages, now I know it's very important. I'm in Canada, and as most of you might know, it is a country where you can find people from all over the world. Well, my point is: I have lots of problems to communicate with non-natives who have strong accents, some days ago a Spanish-speaker woman talked to me and I thought she was speaking Spanish because of her strong accent. The other day I talked to a Chinese-speaker, he told me his name, and I was kind of "What did he say? Is he speaking Mandarim?'' because of his accent. It's hard for native speakers to understand foreign people who have strong accents, but it's even harder to foreign people to understand foreign people who have accents. So, yes! It's very important to lose accent it will avoid lots of problems in the future for sure. ;)
I guess to lose completely our accent is probably impossible of to do. Even if you live abroad for many years a native speaker english can easily realize that you aren't a native. Like people from other countries, who live here at Brazil, we can realize that they are foreign by the way as they speak. So, maybe we can, after some time, lose our accent a little but not completely.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Post mais votado. Movido para a primeira página. Parabéns Geoff inglês!
Avatar do usuário Marcos 3345 4 17 71
Hello there, I see this is a very old post, but I'll answer it anyway :P

And I could start saying that it will depend on what's your purpose when it comes about learning English. Will you use it in presentations, will you be a teacher, an interpreter? Then yes, it would be better if you didn't have a very strong accent, since you're using the English language in very speciffic situations, although if you're just aiming comunication, then it turns out to be a matter of choosing, once you have a good pronunciation it's up to you if you wish to "get rid" of your accent or not. I must warn you it's not so easy, since it is something that is part of your identity, it is part of who you are. So, it will demand a lot of practice and pacience, and for those who's aiming to start in such "task" I wish you (and me too hehe) good luck! Work hard and the results will come naturally. That's it! Take care y'all.
I think we Brazilians try to be English or American when we speak English, demanding of ourselves and the other Brazilians a perfect accent ... I'ts kind of ridiculous. Foreigners in Brazil do not care when they speak Portuguese. And they are right. Each with his accent, his pronunciation, trying to communicate, and only that is what matters.
A good, correct pronounce is much more important than accent. As we have many accents in Brazil we have many of them in USA too. I think people from Texas don't have the same accent of people from New York or California.
As others have said, I think learning how to pronounce words correctly is much more important than losing an accent. An accent is a part of your identity, and will probably not affect your listener's comprehension as much as a poor pronunciation. Learners should focus on saying words the right way before they move on to working on their accents. Clarity is also very important.
Hello everyone, this question caught my attention, recently my friend came to Brazil, he's brazilian but lives in Boston, Ma, and about 30 days here, his wife told him that he was talking like a rural person, I mean, he was accentuating the 'r' or your and other things like that while talk to his wife, that are a american native. It's funny because when he arrived here, he was talking like a american accent.

Sorry for my english, I'm still learning.
Avatar do usuário Bill Sikes 790 1 1 18
Accent reduction is inevitable if you're an obstinate learner. You might even miss the way you used to pronounce some words back in the day when you were a newbie. :)
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Leia o e-book Aprendendo Idiomas por Conta Própria e conheça as técnicas utilizadas pelos Experts para aprender idiomas. Com ele você vai aprender a aprender inglês!

Baixar uma Amostra Grátis!