Is it important to lose our accent when we speak English?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3845 1 9 85
Question: Is it important that we lose our Brazilian accent when we speak English? Why?

- Yes, because it gives us more credibility among native speakers of the language;
- No, it’s important to speak naturally, not imitating others;
- We should care about improving pronunciation skills, not reducing accent.

Now it is your turn!

Mais Votada Mais Votada

Trying to be too "perfect" with an accent can cause problems.
When I first arrived in Brazil I met a teacher with a quite exaggerated English accent, he sounded like a posh version of Prince Charles.
At first I thought he was English, then I wondered why he was pretending to be English, it came across as a little false...
Every English speaking country has its own accent and they're all equally valid, pronunciation for clarity is important but an accent can be very charming.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Aprenda dicas sobre os tempos verbais em inglês! Baixe agora o seu Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um ótimo resumo para revisar todos os conceitos.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
"We should care about improving pronunciation skills, not reducing accent. "

I think in the beggining is more important to talk correctly. With the time, if you take care about it, the accent in the pronunciation will desappear.
No, for me is more important to talk correctly even that without accent, speak naturally is ideal.
Avatar do usuário Gabi 695 1 1 13
What it was said is interesting.
You might speak really well, grammatically, on the other hand you might not speak naturally because of your accent.
I believe we've got to know where to put an stress on words when we're speaking, otherwise it won't never sounds
how it should be. I've got a Brazilian teacher, and this classes of her are taught in English.
Sometimes I can't understand her, because of that terrible Brazilian accent ! I get crossed everytime I've got to spend a couple of minutes figuring out what she's said.
Lose the accent, in my opinion it's important, but I think there's always going to be at least a bit of accent for a non-native speaker which is just fine, but not much otherwise is difficult to have a proper communication.
All in all is even cute to listen to someone speaking English with French accent or ,I don't know perhaps Italian accent but Brazilian accent just doesn't please me rsrsr, perhaps because I'm Brazilian :mrgreen:
I would like to give a sample of what I mean by Brazilian accent,so have a hint of Brazilian accent listen to this brief trailer I've found on the youtube :

I think Lazaro spoke correctly, but still it doens't sound spontaneous for me. Pay attention that he's got an american pronunciation, as well.
I think it's quite important if you want to be perfect. It's hard to lose our Brazilian accent completely, but the most you practice the better you'll speak.
Avatar do usuário RenanKenplers 55 1
We can't deny it regards perfectionism. It is not ''horrendous'' if you speak english with a slight accent from the place where you were raised. Of course it depends on the intensity this accent is pronounced. If it starts making your english sound weird, like Indian accent, I think it is better try to control it. On the other hand, if you only want to communicate yourself with people, go ahead. I like trying to have the closest accent possible to carry on a talk in a better mutual way, apparently.

Avatar do usuário RenanKenplers 55 1
In addition to what I said, I think Brazilians have a beneficial advantage in terms of accent. It is not too strong making it seem bothering or artificial. Of course there are exceptions, those who don't like it tend to speak it without focusing on details and all. What do you think?

MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Há quanto tempo você estuda inglês? Já passou por sua cabeça que você pode estar estudando de uma forma que dá pouco ou quase nenhum resultado? Que tal fazer um intensivo de inglês de 180 dias e recuperar o tempo perdido? Em 6 meses você pode elevar o seu inglês a um novo patamar.

Clique aqui para conhecer o curso!
I agree.
Our accent is not so strong if compared to someone who speaks Spanish or Italian, for example.
I do think that it's not bad if you've got some accent from your own language when you speak English. Of course, it's not what we'd aim for,but it's perfectly understandable. And it's very commom.
What is important is to keep studying, and i guess that accent is something that we need pay attention..

The more you study the more you'll be rewarded by your hard work.

So what can i say.... you need to learn how to spell the right way, and the BEST WAY YOU CAN...
and if you can loose most of accent, or minimize it.. you should certainly do it..

Why? Why it's part of knowledge, and you'll receive compliments about your English even more if you do pay attention to accent, and some other minor details....

BUT, There's no need to lost your mind trying to be perfect at it... it's okay to have accent.