Jovem inglês de 17 é banido dos EUA para o resto da vida

Avatar do usuário Adriano Japan 805 1 18
Luke Angel, 17 foi banido de entrar nos EUA pelo resto da vida, por ter mandado e-mail ofensivo para Obama depois de assistir um programa sobre o 9/11:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3135327/Obama-rant-Brit-banned-from-US-for-life.html

Calma moderadores, o tópico não está no lugar errado :D
Acontece que não consegui "decifrar" o palavrão que ele soltou que fez o FBI ficar p* da vida.
Alguém tem idéia?

He said: "I don't remember exactly what I wrote as I was drunk. But I think I called Barack Obama a p***k.
Avatar do usuário Donay Mendonça 49075 21 73 1138
Adriano,

Prick: Um babaca, imbecil, etc.

British boy gets US ban for calling Obama a ‘prick’. [www.thefirstpost.co.uk]

Boa sorte!
mas...só?? :shock:
será que esta palavra é tão ofensiva assim para os falantes nativos?
banir alguém para o resto da vida por chamar o presidente de "babaca",e não estamos no Irã.

Joanne Ferreira, of the US Department of Homeland Security, said there are about 60 reasons a person can be barred. She added: "We are prohibited from discussing specific cases."
Avatar do usuário Donay Mendonça 49075 21 73 1138
Adriano,

Sim, bastante ofensiva. Veja o que diz o Longman:

Prick:

Spoken not polite: a very offensive word for a stupid unpleasant man.

Informal not polite: a penis

Boa sorte!
what a shame! :oops:
obrigado donay!
mas me surgiu uma outra dúvida no texto, o "banido" fala:

"It was silly - the sort of thing you do when you're a teenager and have had a few."

O have had a few poderia ser traduzido como "ter tomado umas"?
que liberdade de expressão que nada! às vezes tenho vergonha do meu país

p/Adriano, 'a few' se refere a cerveja
Avatar do usuário Thomas 14290 7 58 283
Google has lots of entries about the incident.

A Bedfordshire Police spokesman said: "The individual sent an email to the White House full of abusive and threatening language.

"We were informed by the Metropolitan Police and went to see him. He said, 'Oh dear, it was me'."

Officers will take no criminal action."
SKY.COM

Jim Croce sang...
You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim...
And you certainly don't make threats against the President (my addition, not Jim Croce's)

This is not about Freedom of Speech. This is about threatening others. No criminal charges
have been lodged against the punk. His presence in the USA is not wanted. So, he stays home.

I'm sorry, but I can't get excited about someone who claims he was so drunk that he doesn't remember
what he wrote, but when the Bedfordshire Police knock on his door, he says, "Oh dear, it was me." That sounds
like a case of "selective memory" to me.

Have we forgotten what happened in Brazil a few years ago when Americans were accused of "giving the finger"?
How about how Brazilian newspapers tried and convicted the crew of the small American plane that crashed into
a Brazilian plane over the Amazons about 2006? Slowly the truth came out about how bad things were in the
aviation industry, didn't it? In RGS, I remember seeing signs in the post office reminding me not to hurt
the feelings of the postal employees in the event of gross incompetence, theft, or just a bad hair day.

Freedom of Speech is one thing, making threats is another.
Sorry but I hardly consider hate mail a legitimate threat.. unless I'm missing something. Were the contents of the mail made public? As far as I'm concerned, they could have just deleted the email and moved on to more useful activities.

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire
Avatar do usuário Thomas 14290 7 58 283
What we think is legitimate is not an issue. It's the law. They didn't throw him in a dungeon on Devil's Island for ten years. They told him to stay out of the USA. No criminal charges were pressed. If a fellow yells "Bomb!" on an airplane, he must be prepared to face the consequences. This guy was making threats. How dumb could he be?

The kid is a liar. Compare what he is saying now to what he said when he got popped.

He got off easy.
I'm not saying he should have wrote whatever it is that he wrote, I'm just saying since when are we the world's Hall Monitor? Hell, taxpayer money went into that investigation. Don't you think it could have been used for something a little less trivial? If the worse thing he did was call the president a prick ("threatening language" is pretty vague!), then it seems like a big waste of time and one big bureaucracy. Some call it justice, I call it splitting hairs.