Lose x Miss: Qual a diferença

1 31 435
At the Bus Station: I couldn’t get it on time to go to the school.

I missed the bus.
Doesn’t it seem that I was trying to hit the bus ( the way a bullet tries to hit a target and misses it, when it fails ) instead of trying to reach it and get on board?

I lost the bus.
It seems that I have a bus (a toy bus) and I can’t find it anymore. Maybe it is behind the sofa or under the table. It is lost.

What is the right way to say it, I lost or I missed the bus?

Please I’m missed up.

POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
6 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
3 18 190
Alessandro escreveu:O Azevedo já deu esse dica num outro tópico, uma das melhores explicações sobre essa diferença que conheço.

Miss: Usado quando se perde algo que não te pertence.
Lose: Usado quando se perde algo que te pertence.

Take care!
Huh? Maybe ownership is not sufficient to explain all the uses of 'miss' and 'lose'. For example:

I miss my watch. It's not working anymore, so I leave it at home.
I lost my watch. I can't find it anywhere. I miss it.
My watch is missing. I hope it's not lost.
My watch is missing. It's losing a few minutes every hour. I think the battery is running down.

He lost his way after missing the turnoff.
They lost the game because he missed that easy goal in the end.
That lost goal at the end made us miss an easy win.

One soldier is missing in action. I hope we have not lost him.

There are many uses for 'lose' and 'miss' depending on the meaning we have in mind. I can only suggest time, practice, and consulting references when in doubt.
ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
3 18 190
Olá Zumstein

You aren't missed up. You're messed up.

You miss the bus. This means you were not in time to catch it.

You lost the bus. This means you put it some place and now you can't find it.

If you had shot at the bus with a gun, you would have either hit it or missed it. This is another meaning for the verb "to miss." (This could also land you in prison, right?)

Regards
23 127 1.7k
Olá zumstein,

Leia a dica no link a seguir:
Boa sorte!
3 13 98
O Azevedo já deu esse dica num outro tópico, uma das melhores explicações sobre essa diferença que conheço.

Take care!
Alessandro escreveu:O Azevedo já deu esse dica num outro tópico, uma das melhores explicações sobre essa diferença que conheço.

Take care!
Na minha opinião assim fica confuso, porque nunca ouvi ninguém falando "I missed your glasses" (random example), quando se trata de perder objetos, é sempre to lose. Desse jeito fica parecendo que a pessoa sentiu falta dos óculos. No exemplo do Azevedo, ele diz pra usar to miss mais no sentido de falta ou ausência, que faz mais sentido. Outras explicações acima também ficaram mais claras...

Porque imagino eu que se falar simplesmente isso, haverá confusão na prática.
INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
3 18 190
For practice -- but mostly, for enjoyment:

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/one-art/