May x Might: Qual a diferença?

Hello guys!
Look, I have this doubt for a while now. And, at first, I thought that "may" was referring to "poder" like permission, and "might" was like possibility.
But, I'm not so sure anymore. So, if any of you could give me a concrete explanation, I'd aprecciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Regards.

MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
13 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
dlr 1
I don't know :? :? :P

So you don't feel so bad, here's a poem:
Star light, star bright,
The first star I see tonight;
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight.
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
You might (you will permit yourself to) consider a good idea to look into the difference here.

Once you get to the page, do a CTRL + F for "she might come." Do check the examples.

Good studying. Go hit the books, don't let the books hit you.
Basically, there's no difference between "may" and "might". We can use them interchangebly. Both of them indicating possibility.

I've already heard somebody talking about the difference. But, in my opinion, if it exists it's something related to the language itself like "eu vou" and "eu irei" in portuguese. The objective of the speaker is on focus and the context

Language stuff!
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Israel, you've inadvertently used the word "doubt" instead of the word "question."

See the difference between "having a doubt" and "having a question" here.
Marcio_Farias escreveu:Israel, you've inadvertently used the word "doubt" instead of the word "question.".
É ótimo você estar chamado a atenção pra esse erro, é basico mas eu não sabia, obrigadão mesmo!
Aliás, eu dou todo apoio a essas correções mesmo que fora de tópico. ;)
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Complementando:

when-i-use-may-and-or-might-t594.html

Boa sorte!
Oh, thanks guys! This is very nice.
But, Marcio, I have a question about the link you posted.

There's this part saying: She might come. – Ela pode vir. (possibilidade)

In this sentence, if I use "She may come", I'd be talking about permission? Or does it depend on the context?
Because, after reading all the stuff you guys posted, I was convinced that there isn't any difference but formality.

So, thanks again!
And thanks for the "doubt-question" hint. (:
dlr 1
Israel, the more I think about that example, "may" could mean permission, but could mean possibility too. However "might" in that example only means possibility.

I may be wrong (but I don't think so)!
Okay, dlr!
Thanks a lot. Regards!
:D
timphillips 11
Hi Israel
I think may and might are the same in the example "She may come"="She might come"
If I was talking about pérmission I would say "She can come"

She may come to the party or she may not.
She can come to the party if she wants to.

Tim
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
Oh! I got it very clear, now.
Thanks, Tim!
See you later.
Well, I've always had this question myself. After reading many of the replies here, I have to admit that may and might can many times mean the same. It's a matter of style as I heard in a youtube presentation of a native american teacher. He himself said he preferred might. There are some situations when may is better like for permission : May I come in? but mostly both are acceptable.
I hope to have helped.

See you
Denise
timphillips 11
Denise
There is certainly something about using may to politely request permission especially using I and we (first person singular and plural) (in the same way that we can use "shall" to make suggestions using I and we)
May I go with you to the mall? = Can I go with you to the mall?......(cf Shall I go with you to the mall?)
May we go to the movies on Friday, Pop? = Can we go to the movies on Friday, Pop? ..............(cf Shall we got to the movies on Friday, Pop?)

I guess (and it is only my guess) that both the above uses (may for permission and shall for suggestion) are slowly disappearing from current usage.
Tim