Misspell x typo: Qual a diferença

I used to use "typos" when I wanted talk about mistakes made by me when I was writing or typing, but I was reading something and appeared Misspell there. Can you explain to me if are there any difference between Misspell and typos?

Mais Votada Mais Votada

Avatar do usuário Marcos 3345 4 17 71
Hello,

Typo (noun):
A typographical error (often shortened to typo) is a mistake made in the typing process (such as spelling, misuse of tense or leaving out a word) of printed material. Historically, this referred to mistakes in manual type-setting (typography). The term includes errors due to mechanical failure or slips of the hand or finger, but excludes errors of ignorance, such as spelling errors.

To misspell (verb):
Whereas misspell means simply: to spell incorrectly which could be considered and included mistakes due ignorance like it was said above.

References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typographical_error
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/misspell

That's the basic difference, although I noticed that some people on the internet are using typo for both cases. It's just my impression, of course.

Take care!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 15 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores e linguistas certificados. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Clique aqui para iniciar o Teste Online!
Avatar do usuário Henry Cunha 9930 2 17 177
For the record, I never misspell. I always mistype. Blame it on QWERTY.
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 37040 5 31 649
To a spell-checker they will be treated the same way, or for that matter, to Google.
In chats people will say typo, made when people in haste type some word.

A teacher, I think, would detect if a student mispelled or mistyped, since a typo would be a "small mistake".
If he keeps making them all the time it would be declared a mispell. Or to some other kinds of slips, say, not using capitals when it is needed. One writing "english" write it correctly but would be a mispell (to my thinking).

Someone that had written "may" (meaning the month) would be unchecked in some spell-checkers, because it wouldn´t check the meaning. Same goes to search engines.

Mispell
to fail to spell a word correctly
(source: Oxford Dict.)

Typo
a small mistake in a text made when it was typed or printed
(source: Oxford Dict.)