Misspell x typo: Qual a diferença

I used to use "typos" when I wanted talk about mistakes made by me when I was writing or typing, but I was reading something and appeared Misspell there. Can you explain to me if are there any difference between Misspell and typos?

Mais Votada Mais Votada

Avatar do usuário Marcos 3345 4 17 71
Hello,

Typo (noun):
A typographical error (often shortened to typo) is a mistake made in the typing process (such as spelling, misuse of tense or leaving out a word) of printed material. Historically, this referred to mistakes in manual type-setting (typography). The term includes errors due to mechanical failure or slips of the hand or finger, but excludes errors of ignorance, such as spelling errors.

To misspell (verb):
Whereas misspell means simply: to spell incorrectly which could be considered and included mistakes due ignorance like it was said above.

References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typographical_error
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/misspell

That's the basic difference, although I noticed that some people on the internet are using typo for both cases. It's just my impression, of course.

Take care!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário Henry Cunha 9850 2 17 176
For the record, I never misspell. I always mistype. Blame it on QWERTY.
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 35850 4 32 629
To a spell-checker they will be treated the same way, or for that matter, to Google.
In chats people will say typo, made when people in haste type some word.

A teacher, I think, would detect if a student mispelled or mistyped, since a typo would be a "small mistake".
If he keeps making them all the time it would be declared a mispell. Or to some other kinds of slips, say, not using capitals when it is needed. One writing "english" write it correctly but would be a mispell (to my thinking).

Someone that had written "may" (meaning the month) would be unchecked in some spell-checkers, because it wouldn´t check the meaning. Same goes to search engines.

Mispell
to fail to spell a word correctly
(source: Oxford Dict.)

Typo
a small mistake in a text made when it was typed or printed
(source: Oxford Dict.)