Mistletoe

Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Me lembro de, certa vez, uma professora de inglês me contar que mistletoe era um tipo de arranjo colocado nas portas das casas durante o período de Natal, e que, segundo a tradição, um casal que se beijasse under the mistletoe, teria sorte no relacionamento (tinha um mistletoe na porta da Fisk naquela época, foi uma beijação geral, rs).

De qualquer forma, aí vai a historinha, caso vejam um por aí, arrastem seus amores para um kiss under the mistletoe.

Imagem

The Druids considered the mistletoe to be a sacred plant and believed it had miraculous properties which could cure illnesses, serve as an antidote against poisons, ensure fertility and protect against the ill effects of witchcraft. Moreover, whenever enemies met under the mistletoe in the forest, they had to lay down their arms and observe a truce until the next day. From this has seemingly come the ancient custom of hanging a ball of mistletoe from the ceiling and exchanging kisses under it as a sign of friendship and goodwill.

Another version, however, says that this custom, which was widespread among the Anglo-Saxons, was connected to the legend of Freya, goddess of love, beauty and fertility. According to legend, a man had to kiss any young girl who, without realizing it, found herself accidentally under a sprig of mistletoe hanging from the ceiling.

Even if the pagan significance has been long forgotten, the custom of exchanging a kiss under the mistletoe can still be found in many European countries as well as in Canada. Thus if a couple in love exchanges a kiss under the mistletoe, it is interpreted as a promise to marry, as well as a prediction of happiness and long life. In France, the custom linked to mistletoe was reserved for New Year’s Day: "Au gui l’An neuf" (Mistletoe for the New Year). Today, kisses can be exchanged under the mistletoe any time during the holiday season.

Source: http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/noel/angl/gui.htm

COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
That's a very interesting article, Flavia. I can only hope you will continue posting articles like this because they help us a lot in our English learning process. Now if you excuse me, I have someone, underneath my mistletoe, waiting to be kissed...
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Have you been a good boy this year?
So ask Santa Claus to give you what you want! ;)
Esta palavra não é um falso amigo, mas pode causar muita confusão. Por terminar em "toe", é comum pensar em dedos do pé, mas não tem nada a ver com dedos.
Na verdade, significa "visco", uma planta tóxica usada para decoração de Natal em alguns países, principalmente de língua inglesa.

Imagem

Mistletoe is the common name for obligate hemi-parasitic plants in several families in the order Santalales. These plants grow attached to and within the branches of a tree or shrub. - Wikipedia
Você pode encontrar esta palavra nas músicas "Mistletoe" (Justin Bieber) e "All I Want For Christmas Is You" (Mariah Carey e Justin Bieber). Aqui estão os vídeos com as músicas:

Mistletoe:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjn3RpkcKY&ob=av3e[/youtube]

All I Want For Christmas Is You: