Música: Cornelia Street - Taylor Swift

Olá pessoal!
Estava estudando a letra dessa música pra adquirir vocabulário e treinar a pronúncia, mas me confundi com dois versos da música deste parágrafo.

1) "...And baby, I'm so terrified of if you ever walk away..."
(Eu nunca vi essas preposições (Of + If) juntS assim, por isso não consegui traduzir)

2)"...I turned around before I hit the tunnel..."
(Não consigo entender o que significa hit the tunnel)

Vou deixar a letra aqui abaixo, pois as letras da Taylor são uma história e é sempre bom ver o contexto.

Cornelia Street
We were in the backseat
Drunk on something stronger than the drinks in the bar
I rent a place on Cornelia Street
I said casually in the car
We were a fresh page on the desk
Filling in the blanks as we go
As if the street lights pointed in an arrow head
Leading us home

I hope I never lose you, hope it never ends
I'd never walk Cornelia Street again
That's the kinda heartbreak time could never mend
And baby, I get mystified by how this city screams your name
And baby, I'm so terrified of if you ever walk away

Windows swung right open, autumn air
Jacket 'round my shoulders is yours
We bless the rains on Cornelia Street
Memorize the creaks in the floor
Back when we were card sharks, playing games
I thought you were leading me on
I packed my bags, left Cornelia Street
Before you even knew I was gone

But then you called, showed your hand
I turned around before I hit the tunnel
Sat on the roof, you and I

You hold my hand on the street
Walk me back to that apartment
Years ago, we were just inside
Barefoot in the kitchen
Sacred new beginnings
That became my religion, listen

ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
5 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
1) "...And baby, I'm so terrified of if you ever walk away..."
(Eu nunca vi essas preposições (Of + If) juntas...

Yes, it can let´s think it could be reworded into: I´m so terrified whether if you ever walk away...

2)"...I turned around before I hit the tunnel..."
Chegar no túnel, OU bater no túnel, talvez.
Leonardo96 19 293
Whether and if can't go together like that, Paulo. Not that I know of, but it certainly doesn't make sense in that sentence.

Just think of it as: I'm so terrified of the possibility of you walking away.
Or
I'd be so terrified if you ever walk away.

It's still not a very natural and common form of phrasing, sometimes singers do those things for the sake of the melody and rhythm of the song, they'll use improper grammar and unnatural wording just because it fits better within the melody, rhymes with the previous line, things like that.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Agreed, it can´t go, but like you pointed out with music things like that happens. Lyrics and grammar don´t always go hand with grammar, odd as it may seem. I am not justifying it though, just explaining it.
Rewording that makes it easier to understand, though.

Similar thing (bad grammar) happens to "I can´t get no satisfaction" (by The Rolling Stones).

Actually, "And baby, I'm so terrified of if you ever walk away" would mean "and baby, I´m so terrified, should you ever walk away." OR "and baby, I´m so terrified with the mere thought of you ever walking away". This is the gist of that part of the song, that sums it up.
Leonardo96 19 293
Yep, but it's important to understand the difference between grammatical mistakes that are "acceptable" and that native speakers make a lot of the time (saying "don't" for he,she or it, double negatives,etc) and mistakes that cause the sentence to no longer make any form of sense, and "I'm terrified of whether if you walk away" happens to fall into the category of the latter.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
That´s right, I concur with you on that point. It was just a case of answering the question or to be right. :-)
But point taken, Crowley please don´t do that at home! ;-)