Na pergunta "Where were you born?" - Poderia usar o "did" ao invés do "were"?

Ao perguntar em inglês "onde você nasceu?" vi que muitas pessoas utilizam o "where were you born?", porém surgiu-me uma dúvida: o mais adequado não seria utilizar o "did" ao invés do "were"? Alguém pode me explicar a função desse "were" nessa frase?

TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
5 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
3 24 206
Nascer não é born. Nascer em inglês é be born.

Ele vai nascer. = He will be born.
Um bebê nasce. = A baby is born.
Ele nasceu. = He was born.

Born é past participle do verbo bear. Que nesse contexto significa dar à luz.
Bear (verb)
Formal
To give birth to young, or (of a tree or plant) to give or produce fruit or flowers:

Ref. Cambridge Dictionary
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
6 49 1.3k
Not really, because "did" is not normally used with the verb TO BE and auxiliary verbs.
Mas tipo, eu não poderia RETIRAR o "were" e pôr o "did" para indicar o passado do verbo "born"?
2 19
Ana acredito ter encontrado a sua resposta! É... Ela até que me parece ser algo para se decorar...

Peguei tal resposta de um fórum.
"When were you born?" is the correct version. A simple rule of thumb would be to replace it with a similarly formed verb. Born is past participle, so we could replace it with written.

"When did you written?" No. "When were you written?" Yes, if you were a book, and grammatically correct.

Ref. english.stackexchange
"Where were you born" is correct. You 'are' born, you don't 'do' born. Being born is something that happens to you, rather than something you do yourself. You are the object of the action, not the actor.

That's the grammatical justification. It's a difference between the verbs "be" and "do"

Ref. answers.yahoo
Espero ter ajudado!
6 49 1.3k
The thing is when you ask that someone you always ask "where were" unless you ask in the third person singular "where was he/she born?".

NeyF was a good enough answer, excellent. Just a little correction (please don't sue me for that). Be born is treated as a verb itself (an entity itself, he hee).
Ref. cooljugator

Hence the question being treated as "be" question (not a "DO" question), I know, I know, one past form bear is born (but then to form the past participle). So in this case of I think it's not about "bear" but be born. Normally the past of bear would be bore. But I see that could be born, so not to make confusion I will think in term of "be/being born" for the time being, and for educational purpose.
Ref. cooljugator
Ref. conjugator.reverso

There is also this sense of born, "that a child has entered the world" and our original question is not in that sense, to my thinking. In other words: born as past form of bear would come with in sentences like the following:
They say that in China a new baby is born every five minutes.

Warning:
We use was/were born when we talk about when or where someone started their life.
I was born in 1988.

But Ney, your information was crucial to my answer as well. Well done and keep up the good work!