Noun clause x adjective clause x adverbial clause

Who knows how to differ one from another?
Is there an easy way to do so?
When the sentence is simple it is slightly easy, but when we face a complex one, I think it is more difficult .

MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
There is a relatively simple explanation at http://understandinggrammar.com/sentenc ... s/clauses/.

I suppose that knowing this grammatical naming of parts is useful. It provides the teacher with the tools to explain complex sentences composed of parts that can stand alone, and parts that cannot, and the role of linking words and punctuation in making the whole understandable and unambiguous. This is particularly useful in teaching writing to native speakers, but probably a lot less so to non-natives who are still figuring their way through basic usage patterns.

So, what is important about these grammatical descriptors in terms of English-language learners? In my view, only this:

1.The fundamental characteristic of all these types of clauses (and I agree, deciding which type each one is can be confusing) is that they are dependent clauses.

2. Whatever their specific names, dependent clauses need to be properly coordinated with their corresponding independent clauses. This take place with good punctuation skills and the good placement of relative pronouns and adverbs, and subordinating conjunctions.

3. As is the case with native speakers who couldn't begin to do this grammatical parsing if their lives depended on it, but who for the most part speak and write the language correctly, second language learners need lots of practice to the point of internalizing the common English language structures.

4. At that point, this kind of precise language about language becomes a useful tool. Until then, in my view,(1) and (2) seem to be all we need to know about dependent clauses.

Put another way, good technique is more important than technical language, and we don't need a lot of the latter to be proficient at the former.

What do you think?
I couldn't agree more, syntax is difficult in every language, even in our own.
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
This business about "the naming of parts" reminded me of Henry Reed talking about

"the point of balance,
Which in our case we have not got"

http://www.solearabiantree.net/namingof ... parts.html

Our lack of balance is trivial, I guess, compared to what he was talking about. But the recording is simply fabulous!!!