O plural dos "Irregular nouns" em inglês

Hello guys

I have a question...
what's the plural of salesman???
it's salesmEn???

others irregular noun use this rule?? or i'm wrong?

thanks

Anúncio Descubra seu nível de inglês em 15 minutos! - Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor e verifique como está o seu inglês.

Começar agora!
11 respostas
Alguma coisa sobre plural:
plural-dos-substantivos-em-ingles/

e sim, o plural de salesman é salesmen :D

I hope it helps
Donay Mendonça 22 102 1.5k
Narezi,

Sim,a regra se aplica a outros substantivos também.Veja:

Salesperson-->Salespeople
Policewoman-->Policewomen

Bons estudos!
Marcio_Farias 1 23 214
Narezi escreveu:[...] [Do] other irregular nouns use this rule? [...]
Not all do. You can also form the plural of a few nouns from the singular by adding -n or -en. How come these take an -n or -en and others don't? Because these stem from the Old English weak declension.

ox becomes oxen (particularly when referring to a team of draft animals, sometimes oxes American)
child becomes children (actually earlier plural "cildra/cildru" plus -en suffix, forming a double plural)

Yet while goose becomes geese, booth WILL NOT become beeth. And I wouldn't know why it won't. You might consider checking irregular plurals out at wikipedia by typing "English plural" in the white box, however.
thank's...
anita 13
ox becomes oxen (particularly when referring to a team of draft animals, sometimes oxes American)
Hi, Marcio! I have a question for you (or whoelse can help me). Is the plural of "fox" "foxen", similarly to this example you mentioned? I've found "foxes" too, but I was wondering if there is a change in meaning and if the "en" suffix is ok.
Thanks in advance!
Anúncio Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor e verifique como está o seu nível de inglês. Perder o medo de se comunicar é o primeiro passo para a fluência. Cadastre-se na Cambly e experimente o método sem compromisso.

Iniciar Conversação
Henry Cunha 3 17 182
Plural nouns in English is a wonderful subject, isn't it? No, fox --> foxes, and box --> boxes.

Other interesting ones:

circus - circuses
uranium - uranium (no change)
radius - radii
glass - glasses [he broke all the drinking glasses]
glasses - glasses (no change) [he lost his reading glasses]

Regards
anita 13
Well, Henry, I wouldn't say "wonderful" 'cause I haven't mastered them yet, but yes, they're interesting :)
Thanks a lot!
Marcio_Farias 1 23 214
anita escreveu:Hi, Marcio! I have a question for you (or whoelse can help me). Is the plural of "fox" "foxen", similarly to this example you mentioned? I've found "foxes" too, but I was wondering if there is a change in meaning and if the "en" suffix is ok.
Thanks in advance!
anita, thank you for asking. I see Henry replied in my stead. I would subscribe to most or all of what Henry says.
Henry Cunha 3 17 182
Never ever trust everything I say...

What about these?

city
fraternity
guy
filly
fifty
anita 13
Thank you, anyway, Marcio!
Henry, of course you are to be trusted :)
What about these words? You want us to write their plural forms?
Anúncio Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor e verifique como está o seu nível de inglês. Perder o medo de se comunicar é o primeiro passo para a fluência. Cadastre-se na Cambly e experimente o método sem compromisso.

Iniciar Conversação
Henry Cunha 3 17 182
Not really. I just wanted to point out that that not everything ending in -y becomes -ies in the plural. But here is another interesting one: apparently we can write "the dos and don'ts of..." or "the do's and don'ts of..." I guess it's just too ugly to write "don't's" with a double apostrophe.
Ainda precisa de ajuda? Confira algumas opções:
  1. Clique no botão "Responder" (abaixo) e faça sua pergunta sobre este assunto;
  2. Faça uma nova pergunta;
  3. Converse grátis com um professor nativo por 15 minutos: Saiba como!