On June 1937 should read in June 1937 but why?

Marcio_Farias 1 23 214
On the sentence below. Tell us why "on June 1937" should read "in June 1937." Do you see anything else wrong with the sentence? I don't.

Amelia Earhart, the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic, disappeared on June 1937 while attempting to fly around the world.

Teste de Nível Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Iniciar o Teste Online!
3 respostas
We use ON' only for complete sentences. Example:
- Julia born on October 23rd 1993.

'IN' is used for the incomplete ones. Examples:
- Julia born in October 1993.
- Julia born in October.
- Julia born in 1993.

Am I right?
Marcio_Farias 1 23 214
Yes, I guess you dit it right. Thank you for going to the trouble of explaining the complete versus incomplete date bit to me.
Henry Cunha 3 17 182
Marcio, that's almost certainly not the correct explanation. My perception of it is that we end up using "on" for a very specific date ("he was born on the 3rd of June, 1955") and "in" for a general range of time ("he was born in June 1955"). You're always born, dead, missing, lost, found ON a specific date -- and ON can also be omitted in specific cases:

He was born / killed / hung / etc. / June 3, 1955.

If you don't know the day, you have to say that these things happed IN June 1955.

There may be more to this than I can think of at the moment...

All the best
Ainda precisa de ajuda? Confira algumas opções:
  1. Clique no botão "Responder" (abaixo) e faça sua pergunta sobre este assunto;
  2. Faça uma nova pergunta;
  3. Converse grátis com um professor nativo por 15 minutos: Saiba como!