On the contrary x To the contrary x As opposed to

Avatar do usuário Junior Lucas 140 3
I got a little confused when I was trying to write the following statement

"Contrary to what most people think, I wasn't bron with a silver spoon in my mouth, I know I seem like being rich, but I'm not"

Could It be written in the following ways?

"On the contrary of what most people think, I wasn't bron with a silver spoon in my mouth, I know I seem like being rich, but I'm not" or...

"To the contrary of what most people think, I wasn't bron with a silver spoon in my mouth, I know I seem like being rich, but I'm not" or even...

"I wasn't bron with a silver spoon in my mouth, I know I seem like being rich, but I'm not, as opposed to what most people think "

Help me please guys I hope for your help, thank you!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Aprenda dicas sobre os tempos verbais em inglês! Baixe agora o seu Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um ótimo resumo para revisar todos os conceitos.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12350 1 22 206
Tenho visto mais contrary to.

Contrary to what most people think...
Contrary to orders, John set out alone (Despite [given] orders...)

Existem mais duas dentro do contexto:

In contrast with e in contrast to:

In contrast to Michael Lewis, CFTC's O'Malia does not see 'rigged' markets...
"Stoning not in contrast with human Rights!"

Não pude buscar mais referências porque minha Internet estava dando "Gateway timeout".

Outros, no entanto, vão lhe dar mais subsídios.
Olá Márcio, obg pelos seus esclarecimentos, perdoe-me nao ter respondido antes eu que eu estou "in short of time", mas obg, vamos ver se "ressucitando" o tópico alguém me dê subsídios
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 39755 6 32 695
In addition to the comment of our buddy, Marcio.

"Contrary to what most people think, I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I know I may seem like a rich guy/people, but I'm not."

"Contrary to what most people think, I wasn't born that well-off. I know I may seem like a rich guy/people, but I'm not."

============================================================================================
I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, on the contrary, I'm not.
I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth, on the contrary, I'm not. I know I may seem/act like a rich guy, but it´s just on the surface.

///////////////////////////
. on the contrary
used to show that you think or feel the opposite of what has just been stated
"Didn't you find the film exciting?" "On the contrary, I nearly fell asleep half way through it!"

Cambridge Dict.
//////////////////////////////

===========================================================================================
Most people may think I am rich, I am not, everything in my way of life proof to the contrary.

Most people may think I am stinky rich, (wich) I am not. the ones that really are closer friends, know there is evidence to the contrary.

Most people may think I am rich, I am not, my taking the bus everyday to my work is a proof to the contrary.

to the contrary ...is when you you prove the opposite.
on the contrary... introduces a (new) statement that says the opposite of the last one.

. to the contrary

saying or showing the opposite
For a long time it was thought to be a harmless substance, but we now have proof/evidence to the contrary.

Cambridge Dict.
=================================
Ok, thank you, I noticed the difference between "To the contrary of" and "On the contrary"

So, PPaulo, I also noticed that "to the contrary of" and "As opposed to" can be use interchangeably, is that right?

Thanks!
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 39755 6 32 695
Indeed, collocations-wise, you would find the entry "to the contrary" in good dictionaries and grammar books. Not "to the contrary of".

As an example you can take the following sentence: "The brown horse didn't beat the black horse. To the contrary, the black one won."

Another one:
"Unless you have specific information to the contrary, it is obvious that she is lying.'

In some sentences "of" sits well with "to the contrary" particle, as in:

In the second half of the 70s, the debate resurfaced with the need to explain the
nature of the transformation because, to the contrary of some hypothesis, capital had
dominated economic activity in the rural area. Modernization was induced by the State
and resulted in the deepening of the inequity in land distribution, revenue, and power.
Population exclusion reached high levels, generating rural-urban and rural-rural population
flows. Agrarian conflict and violence multiplied. Environmental impact was remarkable "

----------
In other words, one has to be careful with its usage, with time you will know when you can use the preposition or not. You will get the hang of it.

+++++++++++++++++++++
As for "to the contrary" doesn´t necessarily means or it´s interchangeable with "as opposed to"

Just for illustration´s sake, let´s take the two following cases:

To the contrary of false accusations, Mr. Oktar has no criminal records. Home / To the contrary of false accusations, Mr. Oktar has no criminal records.

The scientist can make proposals but he/she must be open to and even welcome evidence to the contrary of current theory. One instance is, the old theory that the earth was flat, then scientists studied and found evidence to the contrary.
(not exactly the opposite, a round object doesn´t exactly means the opposite of a flat one. Albeit the notion of two opposite schools of thinking here.)

They are impatient with other children who do not know what they themselves know (“Don’t you know ANTHING?”) and can become enraged with a child who maintains something to the contrary of their own views. Failure to know what you are supposed to know, or worse, to believe something which contradicts the peer-group can lead to conflict or ostracism from the group with considerable unhappiness as a result.

(here not opposed in nature (black vs white/if you are not with me you are against me etc); but "opposition", something that contradicts the previous belief/knowledge/thesis/what you think/the public thinking etc)