"On the Internet" está certo?

Olá,

Tenho uma dúvida referente ao termo que eu usei nesse exercício que fiz. Mandei para um amigo americano, e ele me disse que não estaria certo usar o termo By internet (Pela internet) no texto abaixo.

She is not going to play. She is very tired. What are you going to do? We are going to travel by car. We don't have money to go by bus. Where are you going? I am going to the dentist. What you doing? I am studying by internet, what about you? I am studying, too.

Gostaria de um esclarecimento. Até onde eu sei, está correto. Ele me sugeriu usar ON THE internet.

Abração.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você sabe o que é o infinitivo? Tudo que fazemos e falamos em inglês depende desse tempo verbal. É ele quem dita as regras do jogo no idioma. Baixe o Guia Grátis da English Live e aprenda sobre o Infinitivo em inglês.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
15 respostas
Ordenar por: Data

Resposta aceita Resposta aceita
760 2 21
We say on the internet not in the internet. We saw something on the internet. We are on the internet right now. In for internet is not used by native speakers.

58140 22 97 1388
Olá Felybr,

On the internet - está correto
Over the internet - está correto também mas é menos comum.

Estas são as duas opções mais apropriadas.

Boa Sorte!

135 2
Mais um.

Via the Internet.
  1. Because they are used to working and studying via the Internet, they use the Web as their primary source of information.
  2. With more than 12500 of its 17000 students studying via the Internet, UNE is at the forefront of online learning.
  3. Studying via the Internet enables you to select a time to accomplish assignments as well as homework any time you really feel alert and more productive.

Donay Mendonça escreveu:Olá Felybr,

On the internet>>>está correto

Over the internet>>>está correto também mas é menos comum.

Estas são as duas opções mais apropriadas.

Boa Sorte!
Hello, Donay.

What do you think about this sentence: "I found your book in the internet", is that right?

I am taking English classes once a week, and my teacher said the sentence above is right, but now I 'm confused! Could I use both sentences mentioned here? (one with in and other with on)

1450 3 37
O uso da preposição depende de um contexto:

Quando falamos em navegar na internet usamos "on"

Em outros contextos poderiamos usar também: from, in, over, to.

Abraços.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Saiba como se apresentar e iniciar uma conversa em inglês, mas também ir além do simples “Hi, how are you?” e “I’m fine, thank you.” Baixe o Guia Grátis da English Live e melhore sua comunicação melhore sua comunicação. O que tem no guia? Como iniciar uma conversa, como perguntar sobre o trabalho e como falar sobre hobbies em ingles.

47415 6 39 840
Saulo, I wouldn´t use "I found your book in the internet", but "...on the internet".
At least it is the usual way, 99.9% out 100 times.
On the other time, "I found it/something in a site" is a commom expression.

3330 6 75
I've never heard or read "in the Internet" before but googling it does give results.

However it is certainly correct (though not all the time) in cases where "Internet" is used as an adjective:
- Traditional TV is becoming irrelevant in the Internet age.
- Staying anonymous in the Internet jungle is becoming increasingly difficult.
- Stolen credit card numbers are a hot commodity in the Internet underworld.

1450 3 37
Dá uma pesquisada com o contexto mencionado nos links abaixo:

Google UK

Google US

Não aparece o uso do "in"

Abraços.

47415 6 39 840
Well noticed Tradutora, it can take an "IN'' preposition when the "Internet" is an adjective, that is, when it is specifying a noun or something else.

The examples given show exactly that, as in: in the Internet age, in the Internet jungle, in the Internet underworld.

========================
Worth noticing, that you covered at least two topics on that one. Preposition usage and capitalization (since when "internet" defines something else, it takes
a capital "I".)
==========================
Thank you guys, all of you, for the teamwork.

10070 3 16 179
But try these on Google:

"I found this site in the internet"
"I found this article in the internet"
"I found this photo in the internet"

I don't find these uses of "in" unusual. The Internet is a place, isn't it?

3330 6 75
Henry Cunha escreveu:But try these on Google:

"I found this site in the internet"
"I found this article in the internet"
"I found this photo in the internet"

I don't find these uses of "in" unusual. The Internet is a place, isn't it?
Since "in the Internet" is the literal translation of "na Internet", I can understand that it doesn't seem unusual to you. Perhaps the Google results for "in the Internet" are from non-native speakers who translated it literally from their own language?

Finding an authoritative explanation isn't easy. This is the best one that I have found (from a couple of journalists and editors): http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2012/11/in-vs-on.html

"By the late 800s, though, people began using 'in' more loosely to refer to being within things like a book or the writings of an author. The preposition is being used in this sense when we say something is 'in' a movie or an article or a newspaper.

[…]

In the late 19th century, English speakers started using 'on' to refer to a medium of communications—the telephone at first, then radio, television, and the Internet."

And here's my favorite non-authoritative answer:

10070 3 16 179
No, I'm not at all affected by Portuguese in this case. And no, the Google results represent a wide selection of native speakers and sources. In addition, see for instance

"Only the overreaching definitions of the two principal name spaces in the Internet, the Internet Protocol address space and the Domain Name System, are ..." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet)

"The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) provides oversight and coordination for two principal name spaces in the Internet, the ..."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Internet)

I am merely saying that there are instances in which it is appropriate to use "in the internet".

10070 3 16 179
What are the possible meanings of these sentences?

There is a debate on the internet tonight.
There is a debate in the internet tonight.

3330 6 75
Henry Cunha escreveu:I am merely saying that there are instances in which it is appropriate to use "in the internet".
Yes, perhaps when we speak of the inner workings of the Internet rather than the content?
Henry Cunha escreveu:What are the possible meanings of these sentences?

There is a debate on the internet tonight.
There is a debate in the internet tonight.
My guess is that they both mean the same thing, but one is much, much more common than the other.

47415 6 39 840
I found the photo in the internet x On the Internet...

Aproximadamente 36.300 resultados
(that without sifting the hits of Phillipino and others peoples that use English, and without weeding out the ones coming from basic level people, the ones in slangy sites etc.)

Aproximadamente 7.810.000 resultados

=================
I suggest you run a search with the mid-sentence "In the internet" within some Corpus, could be the following one. Then do it again with "On the internet'".
http://corpus2.byu.edu/glowbe/

Google sometimes can be too much "democratic", not to say lower the bar when it comes to grammar.

Someday IN may be used as standard, but not yet. I think. Anyway, not being judgemental, I would get it if I read it somewhere else.

================
To FelyBr I would say, you even could use "in" when you are chatting or something, but remember of ''on" when sitting some exam.

MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Aprenda dicas sobre os tempos verbais em inglês! Baixe agora o seu Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um ótimo resumo para revisar todos os conceitos.