Os benefícios fantásticos de ser bilingue

Redseahorse 15035 2 24 318
"Como adultos, tentamos desesperadamente decifrar uma língua estrangeira - mas talvez aprendessemos mais rápido se parássemos de procurar padrões que não existem. " bbc
ENGLISH EXPERTS RECOMENDA Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Iniciar o Teste Online!
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 60280 6 45 1074
I would say we learn more by establishing associations, making comparisons and just learning. But then it's my way, I learn somehow having fun (just for the kicks) and a bit ramdomly.
Of course what works for me doesn't work for others, perhaps it works only for me. :-) Anyway, I think there's always a method that fits the learner, he or she has to find it.
Becoming inflexible and rigid is a self-defeating way to sabotage our work, and it's not only with English. How many times I had to get back to high-school books when I got puzzled with limits and derivatives in the University...struggling with Calculus.
PPAULO 60280 6 45 1074
I felt that gap between teaching and real learning when I took a conversational English course. There I noticed that many learners that were highly smart in their fields (of knowledge) lagged behind in the language concepts.
Conversely, some "dark horse" learners did very well and persisted until the end of the course.
Something of it is to blame for the course structure and some to the leaners. What happens is similar to the Gym Third Day Syndrome (your muscles are sore and you give up). If you show up the third day, certainly will are a gym-goer that will consistently persist.
With learning if you persist from fifteen to thirty days, that's a good sign, if you ask questions and interact - good sign. If instead of trying to establish your own patterns viz-a-viz the 'first language' (mother tongue) you are in the right path.
If you keep questioning that language as though it needs to conform your language, or your worldview, chances are that you will take ages to improve many much-needed skills.
That's where learning the English patterns is a better approach than trying to learn the patterns where there is none.

Same happens to learners of Portuguese, there are patterns that fall into the category of "they are the way they are", period. Like the pronouns before the names of states: Estado da Paraíba vs Estado do Amazonas. (Amazonas being a feminine word).
When I studied Portuguese to exams I would give special focus to the exceptions rather than on the rules. Other than that, I would make comparisons and associations (along with other methods and learning tools).
PPAULO 60280 6 45 1074
Becoming inflexible and rigid is a self-defeating way to sabotage our work, and it's not only with English. How many times I had to get back to high-school books when I got puzzled with limits and derivatives in the University...struggling with Calculus.
I mean, when you get at a juncture in which you can't make progress, you have to be humble enough to get back to the basics (or to the early stages of learning). Sometimes we just give up, which amounts to laziness, because sometimes we are very very close to the desired outcome!