Phonetic - A doubt about the K sound

Hi! I have a doubt about the "k" sound. I was getting an exercise and I came across with an inexplicable situation.

For example: (I'll not write with the right symbols, jut with normal letters to understand)

Dumb consonant sound | No dumb consonant sound

1 Syllable              | 2 Syllables

Grape /greip/       | sake /seiki/
Shake /ʃeik/
Fake /feik/
Make /meik/

Is this the only one word that has vowel "i" after "k"? I looked for another word at http://dictionary.cambridge.org but I've just found this word "sake" with "i" after "k". I think it's an exception... what do you think?

INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Kool,

Realmente, não tenho certeza se entendi sua pergunta. Mas a pronúncia de "sake" muda quando se refere à bebida. Mas nos outros contextos, não tem som de "i" depois do "k".

Veja no Cambridge:

Sake: noun ( HELP ) /seɪk/
Sake: noun ( REASON ) /seɪk/
Sake: noun ( EMPHASIS ) /seɪk/
Sake: a Japanese alcoholic drink made from rice and usually drunk warm

Sake noun (also saki) /ˈsɑː.ki/ n [C or U]

Bons estudos!
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
koowll, you no doubt have a question, not a doubt.

Do patiently see the difference between doubt and question here.
Obrigado Donay... Eu tinha conhecimento disso. Como eu disse, procurei no Cambridge Dictionary. Acredito que sake (subs.) seja uma excessão.

Marcio I was seeing the difference beteween doubt and question. I got what was explained there and now I'll take care. But the matter is when we want to say in English "dúvida".Many teachers teach us, also dictionaries, that it is "doubt". For example: "Tenho uma dúvida em relação a..." would be "I have a doubt in relation to...". But I looked for other noun and I found "query" and its explanation is more close to "duvida"'s meaning.

Here is the example with "query":

"If you have any queries about your treatment, the doctor will answer them."