Posição dos adjetivos em inglês

Hi there!

Well, I have this question: in English adjectives always come before the nouns they refer to, isn't it?

So, why does "Continuous" come after "present" in "Present Continuous"? What about Past Continuous, Present Perfect? Aren't the words in bold adjectives?

Thanks in advance!

Ana

MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Ana,

São convenções do idioma,a gente aceita sem saber porque.Na verdade,muitos falantes nativos do inglês também não sabem o porque de muita coisa.Há exceções em tudo,principalmente em regras de gramática inglesa.

Boa sorte!
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Ana,

Na verdade, tanto o "present" como o "continuous" são adjetivos. O substantivo aí é "tense" e está omitido.

Present Continuous Tense - tempo (verbal) presente contínuo
Present Perfect Tense - tempo (verbal) presente perfeito

Existem variações qto à ordem dos mesmos:
AmE: Simple past tense
BrE: Past simple tense
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
And some adjectives do come after the noun: the president elect, the governor general, and many more. Check Google for "post-positive adjectives." Regards
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
anamontardo escreveu:[...] Well, I have this question: in English adjectives always come before the nouns they refer to, isn't it?
I hazard a guess that you might have employed the wrong question tag here. When you use the main verb positively, you must end the sentence with a negative question tag; if you use the main verb negatively, you must end the sentence with a positive question tag.

"... English adjectives always come before... don't they?"
"... English adjectives do not always come before... do they?"