Posso traduzir "might as well" como "é melhor"?

A expressão que me refiro é "might as well". Já vi outras traduções, mas gostaria se "é melhor" também encaixa:

"I might as well quit before I develop any more visions of rising beyond my humble origins".
(É melhor eu desistir antes que ...)?

Vi também que o "might as well" significa algo que você pode fazer porque não tem nada melhor e que você faz mesmo sem querer muito (o que pra mim a tradução traz isso)

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Eu poderia muito bem desistir antes de começar a desenvolver visões de ir além de minhas origens humildes.

I might as well - (eu) poderia muito bem/eu posso muito bem.

And it also means "é melhor/mais vale", but in your sentence the first meaning suits better.
Leonardo96 19 293
PPAULO escreveu: 20 Fev 2020, 18:31 Eu poderia muito bem desistir antes de começar a desenvolver visões de ir além de minhas origens humildes.

I might as well - (eu) poderia muito bem/eu posso muito bem.

And it also means "é melhor/mais vale", but in your sentence the first meaning suits better.
I'll have to disagree with you on that one, Paulo. I'm sure you know what it actually means and are able to fit it within the right context but that's not exactly an ideal translation. I don't blame you though given that it's an expression to which it's hard to come up with a Portuguese equivalent. Are you familiar with the expression "while one is at it" which means taking advantage of a situation or opportunity in order to get something else done? I'm sure you are. "Might as well" is mostly used in similar contexts. When I hear "eu poderia muito bem" it kind of strikes me more as something that one is supposed to be doing in a different context, if I were to translate it into English it would be something more along the lines of "I'm more than capable of..." or "I could definitely...". I'll give you a few examples with "might as well" to try and make myself more clear:

Since we're here we might as well make the most of it. (Think of it as a group of people stuck in a place they wish they weren't).
Well,I've opened the bottle, might as well go ahead and drink it (the person wasn't supposed to open the bottle).

Do you see how they fit into that whole "taking advantage of a situation or opportunity in order to get something else done" thing? "Poderia muito bem" doesn't really apply in the same context which is why I don't think it's a fitting translation. Well at least not in my understanding of it, maybe my portuguese skills are coming up short here but as far as how i've seen it being used in sentences it really does not.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
"Might as well" would be some kind of suggestion or possibility.