Como dizer "elevado (na matemática)" em inglês

I know that "5²" we can say: "five square". But what about "5⁷" ? And "5³" ?

By the way, do we need to capitalize words related to subjects? (Is it "Math" or "math"?)

Thank you in advance!

TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Olá Tiago,

5 to the power (of) 2
5 to the power (of) 3
5 to the power (of) 4

Não é preciso usar maiúscula(math)

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define_ ... &dict=CALD
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22five+ ... rt=30&sa=N

Bons estudos!
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Adding some alternatives you may also hear:

Power Examples

3 Five cubed or Five to the third [power]
4 Five to the fourth
5 Five to the fifth
100 Five to the one-hundredth
.10 Five to the one-tenth
.010 Five to the one one-hundredth
.0001 Five to the point zero zero zero one (easier than one ten-thousandth!)
e Five to the "e"
1/e Five to the one over e

The verb is "to raise," so you can say "Five raised to the power of ..." -- OR, omitting the verb and the word "power," the above format can be used. Instead of "point" I've also heard "dot" or "decimal," such as in "five to the dot zero one," or "five to the decimal 1," for example.

Math is not my thing, so I hope this helps!
maryziller 1 2
Tiago escreveu:I know that "5²" we can say: "five square". But what about "5⁷" ? And "5³" ?

By the way, do we need to capitalize words related to subjects? (Is it "Math" or "math"?)

Thank you in advance!
Small correction:

It should be 5 squared (with a d).

In general terms mathematicians say a to the nth power.
It would be unusual to say the word "raised" when reading the mathematical expression, although it is understood, unless you want to emphasize it for some reason.
Thank you all for the explanations!

And thanks Mary for correcting me!
ernando 2
Estava lendo uns artigos em inglês e eu percebi que não conseguia ler números como 10-35 em inglês (O número "-35" fica subscrito (Sendo que se fosse em português ficaria sobrescrito)). Em português seria lido: 10 elevado a menos 35.

Espero que entendam.
APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
mlm
10 to the minus 35th power = 10 a menos 35.
ernando 2
Thanks mIm!
Daniel.S 1 2 11
apenas um detalhe:

Caso tívessemos por exemplo an (com a letra n como subíndice) poderíamos dizer:

a sub n