Arrive "at a knowledge" or "at knowledge: Qual utilizar

Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
This thread at the Jogo das Palavras section of the forum clearly states knowledge an uncountable word, thus it doesn't take an article. To my own dismay, though, I Googled many constructions of the "at a knowledge" type.

This left me wondering why it takes an article in "arrive at a knowledge." My original copy of MS-Word 2007 says no, it doesn't. Does your word processor say yes, it does?

AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Hi Márcio

My MS Word also says that "to arrive at a knowledge" is wrong.

But my friend Macmillan explained me something very interesting:

Get It Right!: knowledge

Knowledge is an uncountable noun, so it is never used in the plural:
- Students don’t understand how to use these knowledges in real life. (WRONG)
- Students don’t understand how to use this knowledge in real life. (RIGHT)
- We can exchange our experiences and strengthen our knowledges. (WRONG)
- We can exchange our experiences and strengthen our knowledge. (RIGHT)

Knowledge is sometimes used with a, but only in the pattern a knowledge of something (or a good/deep/thorough etc knowledge of something):

"Effective use of language necessitates a good knowledge of grammar".

The usual preposition that follows knowledge is of. Don’t use the prepositions in or on:

- It takes more than just knowledge in a subject to succeed. (WRONG)
- It takes more than just knowledge of a subject to succeed. (RIGHT)
- This is where you can gain a general knowledge base, and specific knowledge on the subject you have chosen to study. (WRONG)
- This is where you can gain a general knowledge base, and specific knowledge of the subject you have chosen to study. (RIGHT)

The preposition about can also be used with knowledge, but it is much less frequent than of:

Did you notice the mandatory "of" after "a knowledge"? Now google the sentece again and you will notice that most of them have the "of" (the ones that don't have it, are probably wrong... or they are subject for further grammar investigation... )

My MS Word still says it is wrong even when I write "arrive at a knowledge of". What about yours?
What about sending a note to Mr. Gates? ;)
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Complementing...

If you try "at a good knowledge of ", MS Word says it is right 8-)

Just to reinforce how the "Spelling & Grammar" tool is not reliable!
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Flavia.lm escreveu:[...] My MS Word still says it is wrong even when I write "arrive at a knowledge of". What about yours?
Same here. Thank you. I'll thenceforth use the construction "arrive at knowledge."
What about sending a note to Mr. Gates? ;)
:mrgreen: