Como dizer "Ele é muito chorão" em inglês

Hi guys,

Como posso dizer "ele é muito chorão", ou "ele anda muito chorão ultimamente"

E também gostaria de saber como dizer "ele e muito mimado" I know you are gonna say "spoiled" but is there any other word we could use?

Another question related with the subject, how can I say "birra" e "manha" fors instance "ele esta fazendo birra" ou

"Ele so esta querendo chamar a atencao, esta fazendo manha"

Thanks everyone

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
12 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Para birra: throw a tantrum

Para chorão, crybaby --> veja que pode ser usado para adultos chorões tb, rs!

Outras opções para bebês "difíceis":

brat, tinker, tyke, perisher: an annoying child who behaves badly
pest: someone who keeps annoying you, especially a child
rascal, callywag, scamp: a child who behaves badly but who you like too much to be angry with
fonte: Macmillan

Hope you be patient with this poor baby,

Flávia
Hi Sophia,

Here are my suggestions:

"ele anda muito chorao ultimamente" = "he's been sobbing a lot lately".

"ele é muito mimado" = "he's a brat" or "he's a spoiled brat"

"he so esta querendo chamar a atencao" = "he just wants to grab attention"

I confess that I am not sure how to say "manha" in English and would be glad to learn that too! :)
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Hi again

Michaelis diz:

manha: 1 slyness, artfulness, cunningness, slyness, shrewdness, malice. 2 dexterity, skill. 3 trick, artifice. 4 vice, bad habit. 5 whim. 6 complaining. 7 fam whining, crying of kids. 8 manhas obsol manners, habits.

fazer manha: to be whining (children).
ser cheio de manhas to be shy or shrewd.

hope it helps
Thanks, Flavia!

It surely helped! I think "to be whining" would be the best translation for the context we just discussed.

Cheers!
anita 14
Here you discussed "birra" as "manha" that is typical of kids. But how about "birra" as a kind of "raiva", I dunno, like:
"Ela pegou birra dele" or "Eu tenho birra de quem joga lixo na rua"? Could you help me on that one? Thanks!!!
AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
Thomas 7 62 296
Crybaby is offensive. It is not a baby that cries a lot, but a child or adult that complains, gripes, etc.

A child that bothers adults is a brat, pest, etc. Regardless of what you call him, he is a pain in the neck.
The terms scallywag, rascal, scamp, etc. are almost compliments. Yes, the child gets into trouble, but that is because he is very clever and probably bored too. Adults can be rascals, scallywags, and scamps too.
Daniel.S 1 2 11
Hi there!

to be whining me parece ser uma boa opção

Take care,

Daniel
Thomas 7 62 296
TO WHINE is not the same as TO CRY. Dogs that are hungry, cold, lonesome, scared, etc. WHINE. Electric saws WHINE. Small objects such as bullets and mosquitoes WHINE as they fly though the air. People constantly complain WHINE. Babies WHINE too, but is differs from crying.

MERRIAM-WEBSTER

Main Entry: 1whine Pronunciation Guide
Pronunciation: primarystresshwimacrn also primarystresswimacrn
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): -ed/-ing/-s
Etymology: Middle English whinen, from Old English hwimacrnan to whiz; akin to Old Norse hvimacrna to whiz and perhaps to Old Slavic svistati to hiss
intransitive verb
1 a : to utter a high-pitched plaintive or distressed cry <hearing the dog whine at the door> <tossing and turning, the child whines in its sleep> b : to make a sound similar to such a cry <the saws buzz and whine -- American Guide Series: Maine> <sirens whined loud and clear -- Springfield (Massachusetts) Union> <car starters whine and trucks ... rattle out -- Marjory S. Douglas> c : to move or proceed with the sound of a whine <mosquitoes whined through the dark -- Josephine Johnson> <the bullet whined over the heads of the boys -- S.H.Holbrook> <a taxi whined through the streets -- Walter Sorell & Denver Lindley> <the wind ... whined and moaned through the rigging -- Kenneth Roberts>
2 : to utter a complaint or lament with or as if with a whine <is not a man to whine and complain; he has too much spirit -- Jane Austen> <whine about ... her troubles -- E.A.Weeks> <the counteraction of the doctrine of love when that pules and whines -- R.W.Emerson>
transitive verb : to utter or express with or as if with a whine <the prisoner whines his innocence> <whine the song in nasal tones> <whine their troubles to the world
anita 14
Guys, should I start another topic for "birra"?
Daniel.S 1 2 11
Thomas, vamos lá:

O verbo to whine pode e deve perfeitamente transmitir a idéia de choramingar, lamentar-se, reclamar e até mesmo proferir o sentido figurado de "chorar".

Quando dizemos chorar, nesse caso, não implica que alguém irá literalmente reagiar ao de ponto produzir lágrimas como reflexo ou resultado de uma interação negativa ou emocionalmente positiva entre o meio externo e o seu meio interno, seja este físico ou não.

compreende?

Daniel
AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
anita escreveu:Guys, should I start another topic for "birra"?
Não abra, o tópico sobre "birra" já existe e já foi linkado aqui mesmo nessa msg. Segue novamente: throw a tantrum
Thomas 7 62 296
Não é o que estamos fazendo agora? rsrsrs