How come? Are you British or English?

Hi learners,

For those who intend to get in the english learning road, it might be strange and contradictory when you notice that someone is British and English simultaneously. - How come? - Why does it happen? If you look out carefully, you will se that when this individual refers to someone who is English and British, it is kind of the same. What happens is, when we refer to the British term, we refer directly to the Great Britain as whole - I mean, if you are scottish, north irish, welsh or even english you surely can consider yourself as British. And when someone says one is English, this individual certainly will be referring directly to England.

Is it clear?

Hope it helps.

Regards,

TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
6 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
murilo91 1 9
Creio que isso seja mais uma questão de geografia do que de inglês.
temos o hábito de achar que britanico é inglaterra, sabemos que não é só inglaterra, mas qdo alguem fala, na hora a Inglaterra vem a cabeça.

Mesmo para americano, americano não é necessariamente uma pessoa dos EUA, dai alguem fala, ahh sim, certo certo, o correto para pessoas do EUA é norte americano, nao, tbm nao, um canadensse, um mexicano tbm pode ser norte americano.
é uma questão de cultura ;)
Yeah.

The same way it happens when a scottish guy says he is british and you misunderstand and say he is english. He might be offended, because scottish people don't like to be called English, they are independent! The same counts when it comes to Wales, North Ireland and Scotland.

Regards,
Renan,

Just a small correction, the country is actually Northern Ireland.

Although after having lived in Britain for several years, I am not sure many Scottish people like to be called British as there is a strong movement to severe ties with England. The Scottish nation is semi-independent only at the moment.
Hello Lu,

I realized it this morning only! Anyways, thank you so much. Yeah, I was taking a look at a random website about the Britain Culture and stuff, and there was said scottish people do not like to be called british, once everyone thinks British has to do with only ENGLAND, and they like to have their own independence. It regards independent parliaments that are still governed by the English parliament, I don't know really. Thank you for your valuable comment.

Regards,
Scotland has an independent parliament, however it has to act within a limited framework. Certain activities or powers are reserved and dictated from London. The process of giving power back to Scotland is called devolution.
CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
Já dizia o velho ditado: "uma coisa é uma coisa e outra coisa é outra coisa". :P
Realmente as pessoas deveriam ter noção de que ser britânico é uma coisa diferente de ser inglês. Não sei até onde isso vai mas já ouvi dizer que escoceses e irlandeses (do norte, sul que seja) não gostam de serem chamados de ingleses. Senão vira a bagunça que se tornou com o termo americano. Ou o termo gaúcho, ignorando totalmente os verdadeiros gaúchos dos pampas, sejam eles do Brasil, Argentina ou Uruguai. O que uma pessoa de Porto Alegre tem de gaúcho?