Why, when and how did you start studying English?

I started studying English when I was a 9-year-old brat and, weird as I was, begged my mom and dad to send me to an English school. So they did. Mom, dad, thanks - it was the best investment!

When I started, there was no internet, nor were there language schools in every corner. So, my parents had to find a private tutor. The 1st English school my neighboorhood had came around only 2 years later - and it still exists (the name is Just In Time)! Great times!
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
Van-Spirandeo escreveu:I started studying English when I was a 9-year-old brat and, weird as I was, begged my mom and dad to send me to an English school. So they did. Mom, dad, thanks - it was the best investment!

When I started, there was no internet, nor were there language schools in every corner. So, my parents had to find a private tutor. The 1st English school my neighboorhood had came around only 2 years later - and it still exists (the name is Just In Time)! Great times!
Vanessa,

If you, as a teacher, do not mind I would like to make a couple of suggestions in the form of a rewrite of your last paragraph.

"When I started there was no internet, nor were there language schools on every corner. So, my parents had to find a private tutor. The first English school in my neighborhood, appropriately named "Just in Time" , opened about two years later, and it is still in operation today! What great times those were!

If you do not mind please let me know what you think about the changes, your honest and frank opinion would be appreciated. I think that it reads more like what an American might say or write.
i started studying english when i was on middle school around 5 grade i always loved english after I graduated high school I keep doing English lessons and learning continues to this day
I started studying English when I was 14 years old and still looking to improve myself in language, especially in conversation, because I don't have too many friends who speak English fluently. I always liked the language, my father always encouraged me to study, then put me in a school called Fisk, and I discovered that when you learn something you like, do not ever forget.
I don't think there is a reason for I started studying English.
I just like the language, ever since I can rememeber.

However, I never had the opportunity to study in an English School.
Since I was about 14 or 15, I started listenning to music and trying to translate them, as well as watching movies with English subtitles.

Not like a duty, but just for fun.

In the last year, a friend of mine told me about English Experts, and since them I've been visiting the site to improve my skills.

By the way, this is my very first post in the Forum, so please correct me if I did any mistake.
I started to learning english because I love this language and also because I wanna visit America, in special the New York city. Since three or four years ago, I thought that I'd make something to start to learn english, so I read some books and magazines, listened songs in english and watched movies/series.
My biggest difficult to learn is grammar, is so hard LOL But I'll never desist ! ^^

take care!
xoxo
:*
TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
I started studying English by the time I was fifteen, because I had attended to another school and my teacher was requiring us a little more about that language that I wasn't good at. I got desperated, since I had come from a poor school and I didn't learn English as much as I could do. I waited for two or three weeks until realize an English course was necessary in order to get good grades and also, learn this important and cool language.

I remember that I said to my dad: if I don't take some extra English classes, I will not be able to understand classes and which it's worst, not capable to be approved in that subject. By this way, my father paid me a English course near home and my future in that subject was safed. In fact, after some simple extra classes it was crystal clear that my teacher was requiring us only ordinary concepts and I could realize I would have to study English a lot, day after day, in order to learn it as much as it's essential nowadays for who wants to compete in the workplace. Now I am studying engineering and it's certain speaking English with confidence, with a good level, is almost an obligation.

These days I've studied it by myself and I am glad with the results, you know.
I started studying english when I was 7-9 (I am not sure) at Yázigi (and I do it till nowadays). I started to study because my daddy thought english was fundamental for my life.

I'm still doing english class (at Yázigi) and at school.
oh...

I started studying two years ago, at Fisk. Why i began? Simple! For two things: An anime and a book. The anime just have in japanese with translation in English. The book - with i already say here - is the best! the best book of thriller that i read. So, i decided bought the book in english because the other ( 5 -10 ) don't have in Brazil. Now, i can read it. There problems, but i don't care
I've studied English for years, that is, since I was a child. My first contact with the English language was when I lived in Natal (RN), Northeast Brazil. After, my family has moved to Belém (PA), Northern Brazil, where I started learning English again. Learn a different language and know people from outside Brazil were the main reasons for studying English. Today, I buy english books and magazines to practice and talk with some foregn friends .
I Started to Studying English Because . My dream when I was 10 years old is watch
a film,serie . In English :3 In 2008 . on a english course .
TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
EugenioTM 7 48
Well, I started to study english four years ago at the beggining of my english course. I stopped it 2 years ago, because of full schedule. But I can say that my interest by english just raised after I quit my course, and I study it by my own everyday listening to music, podcasts, reading, watching movies... The only thing I miss to study is conversation. Anyway, I love to practice english in every aspects!

Cheers!
EugenioTM 7 48
Well, I started to study english four years ago at the beggining of my english course. I stopped it 2 years ago, because of full schedule. But I can say that my interest by english just raised after I quit my course, and I study it by my own everyday listening to music, podcasts, reading, watching movies... The only thing I miss to study is conversation. I have no targets to achieve,I just want to go further in knowledge!

Cheers!
I've ever had english class at school. Since my first contact with the language, I liked. I had very good grades.
I started listening music, seeing movies ... in english plus (legenda). But an especific course, I just looked for in the last year, 2010.
One of my dreams it's go to England, USA or Canada to do high school in a year. (intercambio)
Hi. I learned english because simply I thought be cool speak other language. I learned alone, in school, at home, and in the dictionary. And now I am learning more here :D.
I started studying English five years ago when I was 12. One day my mother told me that she signed me up in a English course. I've always been crazy about learning other cultures, languages... so I liked the idea. Then I descovered that I love English and this year I'll end up the course, but I know that the learning never ends!
See you!
TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Why? Beacuse I thought it was time to start,I never liked english, but it makes diffrence in my profession.

When? Januray, 2010.

How? At Wise Up, I'm still there and I like the way they teach you. It's fast and sometimes it's difficult but I like challenges and I'm working a lot to finish the course speaking well.
I just started to learn english last week in "wisup" because of my profession, i work with I.T and i think that this knowledge will help me.
Well, I started english because my mother told in 2011, but i liked then i now i studied because i like
Well, I took classes in school, but today, for me, they were awful, because we never saw other aspects of the language than grammar. But I have always tried to watch movies/series without subtitles and I have listened to a lot of foreign music. Besides that, at the university I always have to deal with English when I am studying or researching, so, in some way, I got used to it. Recently I decided that I want to study(perhaps live) in another country, and I think the best first step is improve my english skills, so I came back to the studies.
Hello,

I've been studying English for seven years. I started when I was 16 years old.
Music was the subject that showed me how important is to learn English.
I love to learn English. That's my thing =)
TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
felipeh6 7 58
Holle,

Actually, I've started to study English at secondary school. In some way, that american accent was always sounding great in my ears. After that, in 1996, I started to study it in a particular English School, mainly to understand movies and songs. After some time... and studying, I've perceived that I could use it to work. And here I am using English as an export salesman. A lot to study yet, but it's a pleasure to learn it. Something unstoppable!

Sincerely.
I started to study English, because in the last centuries the English became a second language ... and English opens many doors for the labor market.
bye:Camila
Well, I was 14 years old when I started learning english in a course. Before this, I used to learn just some words at school, that to tell you the truth, was terrible teaching this language. When I was 15, I joined Ibeu and studied there for 6 years until I finish studies there on the second semestre of last year. Well, my english is not that bad, I can understand things and talk diary things, but actually, my english is away from being fluenty and my knowledge is not enought, and I guess it'll take lots of years to reach this. I have many troubles learning phrasal verbs, for example, I just can't memorize many of them and than I start translating each word apart, what obviously, doesn't work. I've bought a book about this recently and I'm studing now, but anyway, I think they are my biggest problem. Furthermore, I have problems with listening, some sitcoms drive me crazy about their talkness and expressions so fast and different from what I'm used, I just see a big hole between the english taught and the english native.
I study english because i like the language becaus off the sounds. I started study english officially in 2006 in school of language but in 2011 i was dissatisfied with scholl and now i am studying alone.
I started studying English a year ago, because, a couple of years ago I met a american singer on youtube and I start to like her.
First, my wish was learn english to meet her personally( a typical teenager's dream), but after, I started to like the language and started to see videos of people who went to study in High School at United States and I felt a big interest, but unfortunately I couldn't go. But I still wanna go there (and I'll live in California). Until there, I'll improve my english (I need to learn a lot).

(Sorry for any mistake)
TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
ernando 2
To me, studying English becomes naturally. I think I start it when a was 12 (now I'm 17, so it's been 5 years). In the begining I don't care much about grammar or spend hours trying to understand the language, actually it was just because of music. :lol:

The time passed and I realized how I was better than my classmates in English, just because I like music, it make me try to improve my vocabulary, but for real I just realize that I really can became fluent in the English language about 2 years ago. Now I listen to music + watch movies and TV series + try to pratice my writing in forums like this and I'm taking a English course. :D

My goal is became fluent before I turn 19. It will be hard, but I'm doing my best. ;)
I was 10, I think. I didn't have much interest in English, but I loved to play my video-game - A Mega Driver. I got a game, Scooby-Doo Mystery, in which I had to follow clues to solve a mystery. Ir order to do that, this game had a lot of dialogues, and I had no idea of what I was doing.
I was getting my first English classes at fundamental school, and I was enjoying learning the verb "to be"... But, playing the game, I knew I needed MORE!
So, while playing, I made this sudden decision to understand the game... And started copying all the dialogues. They were fast, so I had to copy it quite quickly. After copying everything, I went translating word to word, and putting then in a way I could understand. This was my first hard contact with the English language. Since then, I love it.
After that, I kept studying English, not only at school classes, and learned a lot specially with dialogues of many games I played and with the lyrics of classic rock music - a great passion.
ernando 2
ernando escreveu:To me, studying English becomes naturally. I think I start it when a was 12 (now I'm 17, so it's been 5 years). In the begining I don't care much about grammar or spend hours trying to understand the language, actually it was just because of music. :lol:

The time passed and I realized how I was better than my classmates in English, just because I like music, it make me try to improve my vocabulary, but for real I just realize that I really can became fluent in the English language about 2 years ago. Now I listen to music + watch movies and TV series + try to pratice my writing in forums like this and I'm taking a English course. :D

My goal is became fluent before I turn 19. It will be hard, but I'm doing my best. ;)
Re-writing the post I wrote some months ago to make better:

For me learning English stared naturally. I think I started it when I was 11 (in 2006) (I am 17, so it's been 6 years approximately). In the beginning I didn't care about grammar or pronunciation, and I didn't spend hours trying to understand the language, actually it was just for fun, as a hobby, mainly because of music.

Time passed and I realized how better I was than my classmates in English Classes (just because of my music preferences). It made me start trying to learn the language for real. Then one day I found this amazing website, which provide all kinds of tips and answered all the questions I had about how to learn properly. Nowadays I listen to English music, watch movies and TV series in English, I'm taking English courses + learning phonetics and right now I'm in Canada in an exchange program!!! :D

My goal is to "feel" fluent in the English language before I turn 18. It will be hard, but I'm trying to do my best.
I started to study english last year in an English School because I love English and also is one of the most spoken languages in the world!