Preposições On e In em frases parecidas

Pessoal, eu estava estudando no rosetta stone e me deparei com essas duas frases

The girls is sleeping on the beach.
The man is walking in the mountains.

Por que eu não posso falar

The girls is sleeping in the beach ou
The man is walking on the montains. ?

To com uma enorme dúvida nisso.

Desde já agradeço.

Att,

Thiago.

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
7 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Oi, Thiago,

O "in" dá uma ideia de "dentro", "interior". Eu não usaria "in the mountains" para "the man is walking"
Se você der uma olhada no Google mesmo, por exemplo, o uso de "walking on the mountain" é bem mais comum. Ao ouvir "in", tenho a impressão de que o cara estava andando dentro de uma mina ou caverna da montanha, sabe?

"On the beach" me parece perfeito. "In the beach", só se for num contexto mais específico. Talvez o próximo colega conheça algum. Outra preposição possível aqui não seria o "in", mas o "at" - com a ideia mais ampla de estar naquela região da praia, não necessariamente na areia da praia, entendeu?
Espero que ajude!
Hello tfernandes,

Bem, eu vou tentar explicar do modo como aprendi, mas ainda espero confirmação de alguém do fórum.

Primeiramente, o "the girls" está no plural, então fica: The girls are sleeping on the beach.
Se você dissesse, "in the beach" daria a idéia de que elas estão na areia da praia, na beira do mar. e o "on the beach" é mais pra a orla da praia, numa casa.

Eu creio que seja mais ou menos isso. Qualquer coisa, me corrijam aqui.

See ya!
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Tfernandes,

Complementando:

As preposições devem ser aprendidas em um contexto, passo a passo, já que não dá para prevermos o uso com exatidão através de regras. Ficar atento a elas na medida que se progride nos estudos, é a melhor dica para não deixar acumular. Veja exemplos:

I am at home.
We are in college.
They depend on me.
She is pregnant by him.

Bons estudos!
Thomas 7 62 296
If you want logic, stay away from grammar. Grammar is rarely logical.

You walk in the mountains or on the mountain, but you cannot walk on the mountains or walk in the mountain. They all make perfect sense to people who had heard these phrases all their lives. However, "to walk on the mountains" gives us the image of a giant stepping from one mountain to the next. And "to walk in the mountain" gives us the image of someone walking through a labyrinth of tunnels inside a mountain. Possible? In Hollywood, maybe. Probable? No.

"The girls are in the beach" gives the image that the girls have been horribly murdered, their remains buried in the sands. "The girls are on the beach" gives the image of girls flirting with guys and getting suntans within a few feet of the ocean. "The girls are at the beach" gives the image of girls who have gone to a beach to get some sun (soak up some rays), swim, roast hot dogs over a fire, etc.

By the way, you can walk in the city but you cannot walk on the city. You can walk on the beach or at the beach, but you cannot walk in the beach.

And the logic? Forget about logic. This is how people say these things. Imitate how they talk, and you will do fine.
Muito obrigado a todos pela resposta.

Agora entendi ... x)

Cya
TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
Thomas 7 62 296
We are in college = We are college students.
We are at the college = Our physical location is the college. We are not not at another location (not in church, not at the dentist, not at the garage having our car fixed).
We are at college = Our physical location is a college. We are not not at another location (not in church, not at the dentist, not at the garage having our car fixed).

I am at home. = I am home. (Where is Maria? She's home./Very colloquial, very common.)

I hope am not confusing the reader. There are nuances, implications, shades of meaning, etc., that can be given in English by changing the preposition. The problem for the student is that there are no consistent rules. You can say "I am home" but you cannot say "I am college." You can "walk at the beach" but you cannot "walk at the city". The examples and exceptions could continue all day and night.
Gabi 1 1 19
better just follow the flow ,isn't it? not think too much and get used to'em
Thanks for the explanation, the best I've ever had about "in,on,at somewhere"