Profissional brasileiro tem o sétimo pior nível de inglês

Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Reportagem: Profissional brasileiro tem o sétimo pior nível de inglês

24/04/2013 07h04
DE SÃO PAULO

Os profissionais brasileiros têm o sétimo pior nível de inglês do mundo e o sexto pior da América Latina, de acordo com um índice que mede o grau de proficiência da língua dentro do mundo dos negócios. A média do país foi de 3,27 pontos --a pontuação dos países variou de 2,92 (Honduras) para 7,95 (Filipinas).

Fonte:
Folha de São Paulo http://app.folha.com/m/noticia/244432
Valor Econômico http://www.valor.com.br/carreira/309681 ... s-do-mundo

POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
6 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Sypher 1 1 24
E isso considerando que as escolas de inglês proliferam como coelhos por aí....

Mas sabe, essa estatística é muito semelhante aos números relacionados com o ensino de Direito. O Brasil tem mais cursos de Direito que todos os outros países do mundo somados (sério), porém isso está longe de se refletir numa população que conhece a lei.
Seria isso causado por carência de qualidade nas instituições de ensino? Ou então pela falta de interesse dos alunos que somente fazem o curso para ter o diploma e obter as vantagens que dele decorrem? Provavelmente são esses e outros os fatores. Acredito que dentro do aprendizado de inglês a situação é parecida...
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Cada caso é um caso. Muita gente falava que falar inglês era uma espécie de sinônimo de ter emprego e não passar fome; vem a Índia e quebra o paradigma.
Contudo, Ghandi foi considerado "outcaste" só porque expressou o desejo de ir pra Inglaterra para estudar lei (outro anátema para os indianos na época), depois ele (Ghandi) começou a defender indianos pobres (e vítimas de injustiça, muitas vezes trabalhista) na África do Sul. Depois veio a defender a própria Índia (sua autonomia e emancipação do Reino Unido). Em parte por falar inglês, mas principalmente por saber inglês e a língua local. E mais ainda por sua eficiência em saber se comunicar (mostrando os elementos das duas culturas e as idiossincrasias inerentes aos atos feitos por indianos e ingleses.)

Teve um tempo em que era a moda se falar francês. A elite brasileira procurava falar tal línguagem, "Tiradentes'' falava francês... e o que dizer do Haití e países da África? e até o Vietnã que foi mal administrado pela França e acabou dando no que deu... paradigma quebrado também.

Se voltarmos para o nosso quintal, vemos que há mais desenvolvimento econômico nas regiões sul e sudeste, quase que em detrimento das outras regiões. Contudo, todos falam português.
Mais ainda, Timor Leste fala português, e também Angola e por aí vai. Países que estiveram em guerra por muitos anos e ainda assim nós (de sua linguagem) não fizemos ou não pudemos fazer nada em favor deles, na época.

Sypher tocou num ponto crucial também, o governo faz de conta que paga os professores que fazem de conta que ensinam. O aluno por sua vez faz de conta que aprendeu e fica tudo certo. (!) Sem falar daqueles que confundem pagar (aulas/uma escola) e aprender, duas palavras que muitas vezes não tem nenhuma relação, mas há quem pense "se eu pago, eu aprendo."
De vez em quando alguém inventa alguma moda, tomando emprestado alguma idéia requentada de outro país e lá vamos nós...sem levar em conta nossa cultura e as condições de implantação. As coisas são elaboradas e estabelecidas (transplantadas seria a palavra...) de cima pra baixo, então...
Na verdade não é só inglês que somos semi-analfabetos, mas também em espanhol e até em português. Quem nunca viu uma placa "concerto de roupas" atire a primeira pedra! outro dia alguém passava em frente a uma casa de uma pequena cidade e tinha a placa "ensina-se portugues e vende-se calvão! "
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
By the way, the English schools and schools on other subjects or fields are opening all the time. However we hardly see them trying to help others out in some English Forum, and learning in the process. So, we can see that many times it´s not quantity what counts, but quality.
Lamentável esse estudo. O problema é que o ensino de inglês nas escolas nem sempre é bom também. Muitos professores se sentem desmotivados e isso vira um ciclo vicioso. Professores sem querer ensinar e alunos sem querer aprender.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Unfortunately we are in an imperfect country, with an imperfect educational system. One designed to be prejudiced and biased towards the "everything that is from abroad is nice/cool." and conversely, the homegrown talent is ignored.
Had it not been "discovered" abroad, we perhaps would not hear of Paulo Freire, Santos Dumont, etc.
Now back again to the educational system. One of the problems is, the elite is educated in schools outside the country and the ones that study within are divided into two parts, the ones that study in public schools and those that go to a private school (worth noticing that many promising teachers in the public system go to teach in private schools as well, but then the ones that stand out for their work in public schools).
Don´t know of today, but some decades ago the earnings of a teacher in a state I know well, was paid only every three months, wich would let these professionals strapped of cash and having to buy things on credit (fiado), even so they would pay in installments, since the money they made wouldn´t suffice to pay the in the whole. And to add insult to injury, teachers´ children woulnd´t get any job into government sphere or civil service (and even the commerce for that matter, since people think teachers have a handsome salary!)
I had high school teachers of mine that raised chickens and sold eggs to survive, and teachers that had two "teacher" side jobs (that is, in all s/he taught in three schools). And more, I knew some that did all that and then studied in a university to try their luck as a social worker (a slightly more "soft" job to get himself landed perhaps? dunno. At least not if you get a job in an public hospital.
So, demotivated wouldn´t be the proper word. Many really want, but they are pressed by the need of having to get a job and fast! more pressed still, when everyone knows that such jobs are generally open when experienced teachers are on strike (these also pressed by the need to get the bread and butter to their children back home, and pay their utility bills along with attend their family and carry out school functions.)
Education officials, lawmakers, government and politicians, in short, the ones that have the decisory power deflect the issues and needs of educators, by depicting then as "heroes/people that give too much of themselves to the cause of education etc...and teachers themselves end up believing they are a kind of foster psycologists/doctors/knowledge transmiter/missionary/idol/father/mother/friend/aunt (at the beggining levels we even changed the "master" (mestre) to aunt (tia/o)... which, in turn, makes the teacher think he failed when a pupil of his/her fail.
That happens because at their formation they are told they either will "form/educate" people or "nobody teaches anything to anyone" the educator just lead the student to the knowledge. Either way, if teacher fail it´s him/her that is to blame, the universities of life throw batches of hundreds/thousands of teachers every year this way, and they turn then into a "a reserve supply" in case of teachers deciding to go in strike.

To depict the teacher/educator in such "saint" colours, and making him call his profession is a "mission" and that he/she has to suffer like a martyr is convenient enough. That way, it might replace the teacher that teaches, and the teacher as a professional that earns his payment as everybody else, since he is a qualified professional and deserves so, independent of the whims of he who is his current boss.
It´s about time to train teachers properly, crunch some numbers and to know how many real teachers we need (without thinking of them just as a reserve supply) and open universities to educate just the needed ones, prefferably the skilled, and the ones that have the knack of teaching. Perhaps with an extra ammount of 10-15%, just in case.

English teachers would fit in the comment above, mainly the training part.
By the way, training is something that is not to stop, is dynamic just languages are. Of course, for that to happen, one has to have a realistic and reasonable wage. Since education is an expensive thing, but ignorance is even more expensive.

To have some further insight on teaching issues in Minas Gerais; and by extension, in Brazil. I suggest the reading of
"O professor que não ensina." -Guido de Almeida - Summus Editorial, 1986.

Some toughts there were useful for my comment; some are of mine. I had some teachers in my family, and many
teachers of mine were almost "close friends" in many ways. I hope the profession be given its due value, prefferably the soonest, I am optimistic in many ways about that.

=============
Comments are welcome and, you are free to point my grammatical mistakes, or any other. I might have made loads of them! he he.
APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Hmm...see what I mean? even the private schools setting its goals for the
"6.0" mark...

http://www.brazzil.com/component/conten ... uture.html

But then, we are in the times when one goes to a driving school and then have to go to a special driving school (driving school for drivers) and graduated lawyers have to study to get a licence to practice the profession.

And the list goes on...