Qual a diferença entre I'm e I am ?

Avatar do usuário Rakell Grubert Pere 3375 3 6 65
Henry, you may not agree but when students are being prepared for any of these official examinations( FCE,CAE, CPE, TOEFL ...) teachers usually say : Don't use contractions in formal writing!
There must be a reason for that advice...

See this vídeo from engVid.com
Emma says right at the beginning : "Do not use contractions."

And this:
Avoid contractions
Contractions are appropriate only for conversational use and for informal writing, never for technical or formal writing.
Avatar do usuário Henry Cunha 9920 2 17 177
Rakell, I agree with you that such advice not to use contractions is probably a wise one. But my reason would be that non-natives are likely to misuse contractions, not knowing when and where to use them. Here's an illustration from a research paper from http://www.brookings.edu/research/paper ... mBrookings:

"It is clear that different segments of the high school population need different postsecondary opportunities. Some are academically able and should be applying to selective schools. Others are much less well prepared and might benefit more from a one-year certificate in a high-demand field such as health, computers, or welding. One size doesn’t fit all."

She opens with "It is clear", and doesn't contract it. She ends with "one size doesn't fit all", a contraction. It's a stylistic device. It works when you do it that way, in a concluding sentence that highlights the point being made.

I know I can find many other examples that contradict this so-called rule. At the same time I can see why it might be taught to learners of English as a commandment.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!