Quando "To" é usado Indicando futuro

I was wondering how exactly I should read the following sentences:

"Yahoo! and Microsoft to Implement Search Alliance."
"VMware to virtualize Android smartphones for business users."

By the way, those ways of using the "to" are part of any grammar subject? I don't think I have ever seen that type of construction before...

Thank you in advance! ;)

ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
5 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Adriano Japan 1 2 21
There are stuffs in english you just learn it several times reading the same thing until you figure out its possible meaning.
In this case, I think you can take it as "about to".

I'm talking about:
O Google está quase comprando o Youtube. (expressão de significado óbvio)
O Google a um passo de comprar o Youtube. (significado não tão óbvio, mas aprendido pelo contexto ou por "osmose")
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Complementando:

Este uso de "to" é típico em linguagem jornalística, sendo usado para se falar de "eventos futuros planejados".

Uso do "to" indicando futuro

Boa sorte!
Thomas 7 62 296
Exactly, Donay. It is found in headlines, titles of articles, etc.

Possibly it is related to "I am to go to the capital next week." (I have been ordered, being forced, required, etc. to go to the capital next week.)
Adriano Japan 1 2 21
Thomas escreveu: Possibly it is related to "I am to go to the capital next week." (I have been ordered, being forced, required, etc. to go to the capital next week.)
Hi Tim!
Thanks for making me remember that other use of to from the bottom of my mind.
Rereading my previous post, now I see I've used the expression "you can take it as", though I don't remember learning that, don't even know if it's correct, it just came out..
That's what I call osmosis. :mrgreen:
Pelo que sei, no português de Portugal é até bem comum essa construção:
  • Antônio está [prestes] a se casar.
  • Joaquim está a comprar um carro.