Send us suggestions: What kind of questions interest you?

Flavia.lm 1 10 100
luiscelestino escreveu:If I may suggest you a question, here it goes:

What if you knew you're gonna die 10 days hence?

I know it sounds a bit scary, but I'd like to know what people think about their own death. :mrgreen:
Luis,

Thank you for your suggestion but I think it would have very similar answers to "What if it was confirmed that the world will end in 2012?"
APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
Maybe questions about interpreting poems or lyrics. Making us think about meaning in English, you know? This might be interesting.
What is your favorite charity? Why? Explain in detail.

Some suggestions:

The United Way Campaign (US), because they provide a central organization to give to and then they allocate the money to the various charities based on need. This allows a person to give to many organizations by making one contribution a year.

The International Red Cross, because they always among the first to respond to a disaster anywhere in the world, and their response is without regard to politics.

St. Judes Childrens Hospital, in Memphis, Tennessee, because they are the worlds leading research facility for juvenile cancers and no child is ever turned away because the parents can not afford pay for the treatment or transportation to the hospital.

UNICEF, because they help the needy children throughout the world.
ailime 2
How about:

What do you think about euthanasia?

Euthanasia
The act or practice of ending the life of an individual suffering from a terminal illness or an incurable condition, as by lethal injection or the suspension of extraordinary medical treatment.( The Free Dictionary )
ailime 2
What about a simple question, such as:

Can you live without your cell phone?
what aboutl:

drugstore x pharmacy???

hugs
INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Sissi_B escreveu:what aboutl:

drugstore x pharmacy???

hugs
Sissi, in case you want to know the difference between these two words, please post your question in the Dúvidas de Gramática section.
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
I have some questions.
  • How would you feel and what would you do if you accidentally killed a person?
  • How would you feel and what would you do if a powerful tsunami came and caught you while you strolled on the shore?
  • How would you feel and what would you do if the airplane in which you flew as a passenger suddenly malfunctioned and started to crash?
  • How would you feel and what would you do if the passenger ship in which you journeyed suddenly started to sink with not a lifeboat to row away in?
  • What would you do if the Sun suddenly grew so large as to gobble up Earth with everyone on it?
Do these look good (enough) for a conversation starter?
Flavia.lm escreveu:
Sissi_B escreveu:what aboutl:

drugstore x pharmacy???

hugs
Sissi, in case you want to know the difference between these two words, please post your question in the Dúvidas de Gramática section.
No. It's not the case. It's not about the difference but they meaning the same stuff.
In the US, we see Drugstore. He, in Kuwait, that belongs to England till 1960, we see Pharmacy, not Drugstore.
To me, it's a little bit odd cos of my American English. ;)
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Sissi, how big a discussion could ascertaining why Americans use the word drugstore and the British use the word pharmacy ensue? Would this lead to a lof ot debate if an American casually strolls down to the corner drugstore while the British happily strolls down to a pharmacy?

IMWTK.
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Marcio_Farias escreveu:[...] while the British [...]
That should have read, "... while a Briton..."

(For those who don't know, a Briton accounts for a single native or inhabitant of Great Britain; the British accounts for all the people native to or inhabiting Great Britain.)
INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Marcio_Farias escreveu:I have some questions.
  • How would you feel and what would you do if you accidentally killed a person?
  • How would you feel and what would you do if a powerful tsunami came and caught you while you strolled on the shore?
  • How would you feel and what would you do if the airplane in which you flew as a passenger suddenly malfunctioned and started to crash?
  • How would you feel and what would you do if the passenger ship in which you journeyed suddenly started to sink with not a lifeboat to row away in?
  • What would you do if the Sun suddenly grew so large as to gobble up Earth with everyone on it?
Do these look good (enough) for a conversation starter?
Márcio

Can I merge them all into something like "How would you feel and what would you do if a tragedy happened in your life?"? (please improve it!). I will include your examples in the message, of course.
Flavia,

With Marcio's approval, may I suggest: What would your reaction be to a personal tragedy?
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
@Flavia, please do it. Thank you for merging it.
@Bill, yes, you have my unconditional approval.
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Thank you both!
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
I have come up with yet another suggestion for a question.

Should our judicial system implement the death penalty? (Do you favor the death penalty in continental Brazil?)
INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
ailime 2
What about:

Bullying is when a person or group repeatedly tries to harm someone who is weaker or who they think is weaker. Sometimes it involves direct attacks such as hitting, name calling, teasing or taunting. Sometimes it is indirect, such as spreading rumors or trying to make others reject someone.

Often people dismiss bullying among kids as a normal part of growing up. But bullying is harmful. It can lead children and teenagers to feel tense and afraid. It may lead them to avoid school. In severe cases, teens who are bullied may feel they need to take drastic measures or react violently. Others even consider suicide. For some, the effects of bullying last a lifetime.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
(MedlinePlus)

Have you ever suffered from bullying?
felipeh6 7 58
Would you buy a hybrid car?
How to get in a college in the USA? It's a very good question that interests me, and how to prepare...
A teenager question : If you were chosing an ideal woman,how would that be? I took this phrase from Oprah's Talk show, when she was interviewing the Twilight cast!
Or you can use "an ideal man" too.
Another question could be about the weather. What season do you like most ?And why?
;)

PS : I don't know if these questions had already been posted here.
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
yannasan escreveu:A teenager question : If you were chosing an ideal woman,how would that be? I took this phrase from Oprah's Talk show, when she was interviewing the Twilight cast!
Or you can use "an ideal man" too.
Another question could be about the weather. What season do you like most ?And why?
;)

PS : I don't know if these questions had already been posted here.
Hi yannasan

A similar one was posted some time ago: Describe your ideal soul mate
INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
felipeh6 7 58
Suggestion: Wich soccer team do you believe will win 2010 Brazilian National Soccer Championship("Brasileirao")?
felipeh6 7 58
Suggestion: Do you live or do you let die? :?
- If you were an animal, which one would you like to be? Why?
- If you could have powers, which ones would you like to have? Why?
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Vítor,
The 1st one is posted. The 2nd I think is very related to this one: which-superhero-would-you-like-to-be-why-t8547.html
felipeh6 7 58
Suggestion:

Do you prefer The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?
INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
felipeh6 7 58
Suggestion:

Do you enjoy Halloween party?
Is there anyone in your family with Alzheimer disease ?

Today I saw an documentary on channel 13 about Alzheimer disease. It was pretty sad see families with their loved ones affected by this illnes. Indeed, they are really heroes, like my mate with his father. He taked care of him with so much love and petient untill his last breath. My prayers for each family that has a member with Alzheimer disease. Is there anyone in your family with Alzheimer disease ?
Coloquei a ideia num inglês macarrônico, se for aprovada, acho que precisa de uma revisão...
Are women more attractive with high waisted pants?

No. Low rise pants make them look sexy and high rise pants make their stomach look bigger.
Yes, high rise pants make them look more elegant.
Low rise pants make them look prettier, but super low rise pants give them a vulgar look.
Maybe you can ask students to write an essay in English about thenselves. Counting briefly who they are, what they like and why, for them, is so important to learn English.