Should fluency be required in non-English speaking jobs?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
Avatar do usuário felipeh6 2170 7 53
Hi there,

I'm not sure I've got the question in its right way. Even so, I'll reply it using another question. How can we require fluency in another language if here in Brazil a lot of people don't know Portuguese in its right way?

MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Aprenda dicas sobre os tempos verbais em inglês! Baixe agora o seu Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um ótimo resumo para revisar todos os conceitos.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
Thank you for that, Felipe.

Part of my answer is in the article Utilização de inglês em ocasiões improváveis

I worked for a bank a couple of years ago. The selection process included a test of English. I aced it.
I resigned two years later, and both my team and HR knew I had nothing to do with the profile needed for the post.
I wonder if there was a candidate who was competing with me who was not that good in English, but good for what the bank needed.
And no, I did not have any contact with any foreigner nor needed to read any document in English nor answer any international phone call during the entire period I worked there.

But, it could have helped me in case I wanted to change to an international dept, for example.

Fluency should not be required, but English always help us open some doors.
Avatar do usuário felipeh6 2170 7 53
Flavia.lm escreveu:But, it could have helped me in case I wanted to change to an international dept, for example.

Fluency should not be required, but English always help us open some doors.

Hi Flavia,

I agree with you 100% when you say "English always help us open some doors". Unfortunately we are far away to require fluency in another language. In general way, to achieve some good level of communication in another language(and this is different from fluency) you have to do it by yourself, specially because you like and have interest to learn it, because our private and public schools and also our companies and industries are not really well prepared for fluency, neither to offer, neither to require that.

Regards.
Well, work takes the greatest part of my routine. If I don't use the english linguage at day by day, how can I keep my performance? It would be impracticable. What good is having such knowledge, since it can not perform?
It's depend, Because I have been working in Brazilian Company on sector of National Transport, English fluency is not necessary here, because you just speak with Brazilians professionals, but beside of me there is the sector International Transport, all people that working there are fluents in English and Spanish, Here in Brazil there are many professional very good, but do not speak english yet, I have been reading the magazine Exame about growing of Brazil, we have that invest much money in Education, this is biggest problem that can stop our growing of economy.