Should we give money to beggars?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
Avatar do usuário Thomas 14310 7 58 283
I was pleased to see that Márcio was using the term "panhandler". It is much more common in the USA than "beggar".

Years ago, as I was walking through a park, a panhandler told me he was hungry. By coincidence, I had an extra sandwich with me. I gave it to him. He looked at it and said, "I don't like that kind of sandwich." I guess he was expecting a steak, a nice salad, some fries, and maybe a glass of wine or a bottle of beer. The sandwich was good enough for me, but not for him.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
Thomas escreveu:I was pleased to see that Márcio was using the term "panhandler". It is much more common in the USA than "beggar".

(...)

Thank you Thomas for providing this information.
"Beggar" or "Panhandler"? I believe that the particular geographical area of the US that you are in will dictate which term is used most often. Some people differentiate between the two by saying, a beggar will move around looking for opportunites and vulnerable people to buy his pitch, while a panhandler is less aggressive and tends to stay in one place working on the premise that a percentage of people who pass by will give.

In the US we also have Bums, Tramps, Hobos, and Vagrants all of which, like Beggars and Panhandlers, live off the generosity of others, scavenging or outright theft. Many, but not all, of the aforementioned are addicted to alcohol, or drugs, and most appear to be allergic to good old fashioned honest labor.
Avatar do usuário Daniel.S 575 1 2 5
Flavia:

It's funny, you know?

It's been about two years since and old and poor-looking lady began knocking on my door every now and then with a sad and suffered-life expression on her face. She is used saying (that's right she still drops by our house) she needs money to buy a propane gas tank but it seems to me that something doesn't make sense in her speech.

Can't she get a "vale-gas" which started being doled out by the government since the year 2002?

Now, I'm neither negative nor selfish but a bit more realistic. Lula's government has helped many people across this country and I feel that there are still people specially in Brazil (regarding this issue) who are used to underestimating people's brainpower.

The other day I was told this poor lady has got a big cozy house and none of her kids are currently underemployed. So apparently this report strongly supports my thesis.

We must help people and give them a hand but never let them turn into a leech.
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12350 1 22 206
pondedaniel, give them a finger and they will take the hand; give them a hand and they will take the arm and last but not least, give them a knee cap and they will use both of your legs.
pondedaniel escreveu:Flavia:

It's funny, you know?

It's been about two years since and old and poor-looking lady began knocking on my door every now and then with a sad and suffered-life expression on her face. She is used saying (that's right she still drops by our house) she needs money to buy a propane gas tank but it seems to me that something doesn't make sense in her speech.

Can't she get a "vale-gas" which started being doled out by the government since the year 2002?

Now, I'm neither negative nor selfish but a bit more realistic. Lula's government has helped many people across this country and I feel that there are still people specially in Brazil (regarding this issue) who are used to underestimating people's brainpower.

The other day I was told this poor lady has got a big cozy house and none of her kids are currently underemployed. So apparently this report strongly supports my thesis.

We must help people and give them a hand but never let them turn into a leech.

Pondedaniel,

If I may a few suggestions: "It's been about two years since an old and poor looking lady ... a sad and suffering expression ... She says ... doesn't make sense in her spiel.

Can't she ... doled out by the goventment in 2002.

Now ... still people especially in Brazil ... .

The other day ... of her kids are unemployed.

Please let me know what you think about my suggestions.
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12350 1 22 206
How about "... which the government has doled out since the year 2002"?
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
w.slayman escreveu:(...)

(...)

@ all: regarding Bill's correction about the usage of "especially" instead of "specially", I suggest you read: especialmente-specially-x-especially-t6575.html, "especially" the comments by Henry.

@ Bill: when Daniel used "underemployed" I guess he meant "low-waged".
Marcio,

Thank you for pointing out my error, I used "in" when I intended to use, ... government has doled out "since" 2002. I deliberately deleted "the year", as I feel it is redundant, since 2002 very strongly implies a year.

Again thanks for pointing out that I need to check my posts more carefully.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Leia o e-book Aprendendo Idiomas por Conta Própria e conheça as técnicas utilizadas pelos Experts para aprender idiomas. Com ele você vai aprender a aprender inglês!

Baixar uma Amostra Grátis!
Flavia.lm escreveu:
w.slayman escreveu:(...)

(...)

@ all: regarding Bill's correction about the usage of "especially" instead of "specially", I suggest you read: especialmente-specially-x-especially-t6575.html, "especially" the comments by Henry.

@ Bill: when Daniel used "underemployed" I guess he meant "low-waged".

Flavia,

I did not consider the possibility that he was using underemployed in the sense that their wages would be low. In that case the word "underemployed" would be, "As right as rain." Again thank you for correcting me.

An Idiom - As right as rain.